AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Separating Campaigns by Match Types: Does one null out the other

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I am currently handling a campaign for a person who previously had their own campaign set up only in phrase match. When looking at the search terms I realized that a good part of the conversions came from exact match search terms. 

Which is why I had decided to create two identical campaigns that different in match types. It's to say same keywords and ad groups and everything else, just different match types. I have one campaign for phrase and one for exact.

I have read quite frequently that this was a best practice that was advocated by Google. However, recently since activating these, I have seen a slip in clicks as well as conversions, especially for the Phrase match campaign, which used to be the most succesful match type. When I place my arrow over the bubble by each keyword it says the keyword is not being shown due to the same variation in exact match.

I do not want to pause my phrase match campaigns since I get variations of new keywords that convert, and I feel that by just running exact match campaigns my clicks will continue to be low, although the conversion rate is higher, but the amount of conversions will dip. Not to mention that I will not be able to expand further the campaign since I will only be working with exact match.

Any advice on how to make my phrase match campaign work while having exact active as well?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Separating Campaigns by Match Types: Does one null out the other

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CynLuna,

This is a topic that you could hear many different answers for. Some believe that you should actually just add the exact match KW to the same ad groups as the phrase and others believe that the best route is to break them out into ad groups or campaigns.

Since you are working with separate campaigns, I think you would be assisted by using more negative KW.

Try adding the exact match terms as negative exact match in the phrase match ad groups?

This is a common way to use match types as a designation for ad groups.

By using the negative exact match terms in the phrase match ad group, you will force the impressions for the exact match terms to the exact match ad group.

The results, I cannot guarantee but this should solve your diagnosis issue.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

EDIT:  I forgot to add in these great previous discussions:

should we use all match type in a single adgroup ?...

Different Adgroups for different Match types

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CynLuna,

This is a topic that you could hear many different answers for. Some believe that you should actually just add the exact match KW to the same ad groups as the phrase and others believe that the best route is to break them out into ad groups or campaigns.

Since you are working with separate campaigns, I think you would be assisted by using more negative KW.

Try adding the exact match terms as negative exact match in the phrase match ad groups?

This is a common way to use match types as a designation for ad groups.

By using the negative exact match terms in the phrase match ad group, you will force the impressions for the exact match terms to the exact match ad group.

The results, I cannot guarantee but this should solve your diagnosis issue.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

EDIT:  I forgot to add in these great previous discussions:

should we use all match type in a single adgroup ?...

Different Adgroups for different Match types

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I actually had tried this out this week, and instead it stopped showing the keyword altogether. When I placed the arrow over the bubble it said that the phrase match keyword is not being shown at all due to it being placed as a negative in exact match, which I found to be very strange.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi CynLuna,

You really may find the threads I posted quite useful, there is good info in there.  In this one 'Different Adgroups for different Match types', Tom Hale Jr. explains this exact (no pun intended) situation in detail.

-Tom