AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Sensible grouping strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to get my head around AdWord groups. I think I understand the basic of campaigns & groups but am now unsure which way to chop up my keywords.

Say you had these logical groupings in one 'foo' campaign:

Need foo1
Need foo2
Need foo3

Looking for foo1
Looking for foo2
Looking for foo3

Foo1 uk
Foo2 uk
Foo3 uk

Looking for foo1 uk
Looking for foo2 uk
Looking for foo3 uk

Need foo1 uk
Need foo2 uk
Need foo3 uk

Would you group these by the 'foo', or by the intent (e.g. need, want, looking for?)

My instincts tell me to group by foo, so:

Need foo1

Need foo1 uk

Looking for foo1

Foo1 uk

Looking for foo1 uk

This will allow me to have ads/landing page all related to foo1, does this seem sensible?

Bonus question: I've also read that grouping by exact/phrase/broad is also suggested. After spending a good amount of time researching I currently have 24 groupings (currently by intent or other differentiation) for a number of 'foo' variations, this is rapidly going to expand to 60+ groups if I go that route. This is fine if that's considered best practice, but I just wanted to check!

Thanks Smiley Happy

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

You're setting yourself up for a big mess here captain. The more structure you have in an account, the more difficult it will be to manage.

Make sure you have some kind of conversion strategy and conversion tracking in place first. Then, use your search terms report and sort by conversions. You will find that there are only a handful of exact match search queries that generate the majority of your conversions. Put those exact match terms in their own campaign, and dedicate as much budget as you can or need to in order to achieve 100% of the potential impression share for that campaign.

Then and only then, if you still have more budget available, do you build out anymore structure. Use the phrase or broad match versions of those exact terms in your secondary campaign, and exclude those terms as exact negatives. That's your "long tail" campaign, dedicate as much budget as you can or need there, and mine your SQ report.

Now - You can create an adgroup for each exact match term in your premium campaign if you want to get more granular with the adcopy and/or landing pages, because you know what the one search term in those adgroups is. However, your long tail campaign isn't going to be as precise, and you may not be able to control what search query matches to which term, in which adgroup in that campaign, because you are using broader match types. So use broader or more generic ad copy in the long tail campaign, and if you find another exact match search query that generates enough conversions to merit it, then put that exact term in your premium campaign.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, very helpful.