AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Selecting the right keyword type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

Just wanting some guidance around selecting the right type of keyword - we sell automotive accessories online and have two generic ad groups e.g. "Car Mats" and "Truck Accessories." Now we want to target customers more specifically for certain car makes e.g. when someone types in "Audi Car Mats" versus someone that just types in "Car Mats."

My question is: all of the keywords in our generic car mats campaign are on Broad Match. When creating the more specific ad groups, what keyword type would you recommend? I am tossing up between modified broad match and Phrase match? I think exact match would be too hard as there are so many car models, search terms etc we would never get them all.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Selecting the right keyword type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Cole,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy
Yes, You are on the right track for selecting BMM and Phrase match type keywords.
Create a different ad groups for different types of car. "Audi Car Mats", / BMM Car Mats".

If you use the Broad match type Keywords, you need to create a negative keywords list and have to add in different ad groups. e.g. you need to add BMM in "Audi Cars Mats" AdGroup.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Selecting the right keyword type

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Cole.

First of all you can use the Keyword Planner to see what searches, related to your offer, come up more often.

You can browse through them and add them as keywords. I frequently use all three match types when adding keywords. Exact, phrase and BMM.

Then, by analyzing your search queries reports, you can start adding more keywords and also negative keywords.

I think of phrase and bmm keywords as "research" keywords, whose only job is to help me find out which relevant search terms come up so often that they warrant being used as exact match keywords themselves.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.