5.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Second adwords account for a different domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone tell me how do you add a second adwords account for a different Domain?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Second adwords account for a different domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi MikeD79 and welcome to the forum.

It's actually a serious breach of the Adwords Policies to operate more than one Account for one single legal entity.  If you want to advertise a second (third, tenth or 100th!) domain, you can do it all from within the original account.

Was there a particular reason you felt you needed another account?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have one account (domain) that I sell flowers on and I would like to set up a second account to sell phone systems that would be on a different domain. I thought the "My Client Center" was for companies with mulitple domains.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, the MCC is more for agencies/companies operating other people's accounts as a manager or consultant.  If both the flower-selling and phone system companies are yours, you should probably just operate them under the same Account.

I say "probably" because technically everything within a single account affects everything else.  While you shouldn't have any problems advertising two or more domains within a single account (people do it all the time) if - say - your flower selling campaigns didn't perform well, they could affect the performance of the phone system campaigns.  

I say "could" here (you can tell there's a lot of "bet-hedging" with Adwords) because there may be no effect at all, or it could be so slight that it makes no difference.

Of course, if both sets of campaigns perform well, you've nothing to worry about anyway!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mike,

I don't normally disagree with Jon, but I'll give you another view point here.

If both web sites represent the same company and you will use the same address and payment information for both, either place both domain campaigns in the same account or ask Google for permission to run 2 accounts, otherwise you risk violating the double-serving policy, from which there is virtually no recovery.

If you create a second account for phones, an MCC account will help you manage them with a single login.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was trying to find a way to set up a second Google AdWords account but I see that could be a problem after reading this thread.  I;m a little surprised by this but I'm sure there is a great reason which blocks some companies unscrupulous attempts to hurt the system.  My reason is much more benign and it would help me to have a second account.

We sell widgets.  We have been running under our Google AdWords account since 2012.  It was performing w/ decent results but we knew we could do better.  We handed it off to a PPC company and they have done a great job managing it and growing it to 10x its original size.  We're happy w/ them and I don't want to upset the apple cart or get in their way at all.  All of the ads in this account advertise our company name as a brand and are geared toward finding buyers of widgets.

I have recently become interested in the possibility of advertising specific widgets, one at a time.  These would be ads w/ micro budgets (less than $50) per ad.  We have reviewed the AdWords API and we are certain we can programmatically create, manage and stop ads based on our business needs.  I don't need the PPC manager seeing this, trying to manage these, or not understanding why we didn't use them or talk to them about these.  I don't want to upset their operation or upset our relationship.  I just want to sell widgets and I want to try this unique advertising method in a separate account so they are not ruffled in any way.

Is that not possible?  Is there another better way?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

MCC U

The situation you describe would be considered double serving and you would risk losing both account.

One Domain - One account. Attempting to have two accounts serve one Domain is against policy and would be considered Double Serving.

To protect the value and diversity of the ads people see on Google, we generally discourage advertisers from running ads for the same or similar businesses across multiple accounts triggered by the same or similar keywords. This policy, known as “double serving,” prevents multiple ads from the same or commonly-owned company from appearing on the same search results page.

To comply with this policy, advertisers should avoid running ads from different accounts on the same or similar keywords that point to the same or similar websites. Violations of this policy occur when multiple websites share Common Ownership … plus when two or more of the following factors are present:

The policy verbage has changed a bit but still in effect

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Read the policy above to learn about the behaviors that we don't allow. Check your ad campaigns and other AdWords accounts to make sure that you're not trying to show more than one ad at a time for your business or site. Here are some examples:

Affiliate program rules: We don't allow affiliates to advertise on AdWords in violation of the applicable affiliate program rules.

Diverse content: We don’t allow advertisers to promote the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries.

Think about the target audience for your campaigns, and develop your keywords to fit the user's likely intent when searching.

Each website that you promote should offer distinct value to users.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't want to violate any terms of service and I am certainly not trying to subvert anything. It's unlikely this could ever result in two ads from our company being served to the same search, but who knows so I accept that I will not do this.

However, my original question stands. Is there a way to do this that does not junk up the management and reporting for our PPC management company. They're currently managing 100+ ads for 20 campaigns. What will happen when they log in tomorrow and 500 more ads show up that they have nothing to do w/? Worse yet, maybe they use an API to manage my account and all of my ads that they are not intended to manage start dumping into their internal client management interface?

I'm just trying to do a different type of advertising, managed programmatically by myself without stepping on the toes of my PPC company. If I don't need another AdWords account, is there another wayto avoid them getting upset w/ me?

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
MCC U

1) I assume you own your adwords account? yes?

2) Inform the PPC company of what your intentions would be.

3) create a new campaign(s) in which would be outside the scope of their work.

4) If you "don't own the account? Then you probably should. You are paying the bill, hence you should own it,

5) If an owner wants to take interest and work on their own personal account, as an agency myself, I have no issue with is as long as there is an understanding of what is what. I would open a new campaign for them with it's own budget etc.

6) Not sure why your Agency would be upset with you? It's your account, your ad money, and you are paying them right? You are their client. The only issue I would see, is if you made changed to "their side" without at least informing them, or asking them about it,

7) If they would be Upset, it is an indication they have something to HIDE, in my Humble opinion.

So best thing to do is get on the phone, tell them your intent of testing something on your account in a new campaign with it's own budget. If they Balk, then I would very suspicious of their reasoning and question them more, and then do a full audit of your own account.

if you don't own the account, or even have access, that's a huge red flag and would want a full audit of your account as well..