AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Searching for Negative Keyword within Shared Library Lists

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello -- what is the best way to search for specific negative keywords within existing shared libraries of negative keyword lists? I don't see a "search" window, where I could simply enter the negative keyword I am looking for. As best I can tell, I need to scroll through each negative keyword list one-by-one -- but that doesn't make sense. Or, I suppose I could download all the existing negative keyword lists into a csv file and search from that ... but that seems unwieldy. I am working with accounts that have numerous campaigns and numerous ad groups within each campaign, and they access various large negative keyword lists from the shared library. I have not found a quick way to look to see if a particular search term or potential negative keyword is already living on one of these lists. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
March 2016

Re: Searching for Negative Keyword within Shared Library Lists

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Jeff.

Searching through several lists at once is not, to my knowledge, possible in the AdWords UI. But if you take lists one by one you can filter by keyword text = your search term.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Jeff.

Searching through several lists at once is not, to my knowledge, possible in the AdWords UI. But if you take lists one by one you can filter by keyword text = your search term.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jeff, how are things?

In addition to AdWiser great answer, I'd say that the fastest way to compare multiple lists is to download everything to excel and applying some conditions there. That's definitely the way I'd do it.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Leandro. That is a workable solution as well. I am trying to find the most efficient procedure for checking to see if potential new negative keyword variations are already in any of the shared library lists for the relevant campaigns. Hypothetically, if I have 15 lists associated with a campaign, and I want to see if a possible new negative keyword variation is in there -- or if I want to see what negative keyword variations are being applied -- then I have to click into each of the 15 lists from the shared library, create a filter, and apply it. That just doesn't strike me as being super efficient. On the other hand, I could download all the neg lists from the shared library, combine them, and then search within that. The possible downsides here are a) that is also laborious and b) it is only an accurate list for the snapshot in time of when it was downloaded -- so I would have to do it every time, thus eliminating the efficiencies created by downloading and combining in the first place. Any other thoughts? Am I missing anything or approaching this from a misguided angle? Thanks again!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jeff,

I can understand the downside and sincerely I can't think of any method. I go through this myself.

The best way I've found is to keep an Excel file with all the negative lists (all lists combined in one sheet), and whenever I add some negative on adwords, I also add on the excel. Doing that, whenever I need to check for something, I just open the excel and apply the filters I want.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a great suggestion as well, thank you!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hey, guys.

Another possibility would be to just use the Ad Preview Tool (for search ads; shopping ads don't work that way). If a query is blocked by a negative keyword the system flags you.

If you want to combine keyword lists and keep a fresh copy somewhere then I think that scripts + a Google Spreadsheet is the way to go.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you AdWiser ... can you tell me a bit more about how I would use the Ad Preview Tool for this situation? It isn't obvious to me.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
You're welcome. And I'm dumb. You'd have to have the search term covered by a keyword in order for the system to try to serve an ad and realize it's blocked by a negative keyword. No go. Sorry.