AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Search or Display For a Single Destination Vacation Rental Co?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm currently on search only feature, but wonder if i should be using both search & display network to drive more traffic to our site.  

We offer vacation rental lodging in one large ski location in colorado.  Our return on our google adwords campaigns currently feels very sporadic, with no real pattern for success despite investing fairly heavily.

Would love to hear other peoples advice on this market.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search or Display For a Single Destination Vacation Rental Co?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Debs;
This is a nice question;
My personal opinion is that if you don't have  a "nice" ROI on your search campaign, is to first optimize the search campaign to achieve ROI, before expanding further to a display campaign.

Search and display select is aimed towards advertisers who do not spend all their budget, or have some additional budget for direct conversion (on display), but yet not enough budget for a full display campaign. I feel this is not the case here...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Debs

I also agree with @MosheTLV  in regards to making sure you achieve an ROI within search before expanding into uncharted territory.

However based on your business "vacation rental lodging in one large ski location in Colorado" I think adding a separate "remarketing" campaign with in the Display Network would give you some decent inexpensive returns, or at least get your feat wet in Display without a huge upfront cost or giant learning curve,

More about Remarketing

Using remarketing to reach people who visited your site or app

Now lets get back to Search In general in regard to "no real pattern for success despite investing fairly heavily"

Just some quick tips or things to look out for , or look over.

1) Check your Targeting Locations and Ad Scheduling to make sure it's as an optimal set up.

2) Check your Keyword Match types, (CTR) and (QS).

3) Check your Match Search Query Report for terms you may add to Negative Keyword List.

4) Review your Conversion metrics, are they set up correctly, are you using Analytics. Call Tracking, Ecommerce tracking if applicable.

5) Check your Ad  CTR's, 

6) Is you add offer compelling, do you have a USP - Unique Selling Proposition

7) Landing Pages - are they mobile responsive, easy to load, have clear calls to action?

8) How does your landing pages convert for NON-Paid Traffic?

9) Ad Rank positions - what positions are you?  compare conversions with Ad rank positions from past data.

10) Review your Data constantly.  The answers are always in the data and paint a pretty clear picture when you know what to look for.

Hope that helps. Especially with Ski season right around the corner.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is really great advice, thank you both so much. I am looking into my optimization levels and also adding the remarketing strategy to my budget based on your advice. Thanks again!