AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Search keywords dynamically inserted into ad click URLs in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have searched high and low, and I apologize if this has been covered 1,000 times...

I have set up my destination URLs to look like this:

http://www.mysite.com/gmat/landing-page/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm...

Note the way I have the "utm_term" part set up... Everything I read says to use "{keyword}" there, and the keyword will automatically be passed in the URL, but this doesn't seem to be happening. When I look in Google Analytics and in my 3rd-party analytcis site, I actually see this as the literal keyword being passed: {keyword} (with the braces).

Why doesn't this setup work for dynamically inserting the keyword into my destination URL?

Thank you!

Re: Search keywords dynamically inserted into ad click URLs in AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
I don't know why {keyword} doesn't seem to always work, but has {term} worked for you?
Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tried that, too, but no luck. When I try utm_term={term}, the actual word "{term}" just gets passed along. :-( 

Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you expecting keywords or search terms from a Display network Campaign maybe ? These can use keywords but just for a contextual match of the pages.

How are your campaigns configured, what are you targeting ? (those which have that destination URL from message 1 )

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott

When you implement "utm_source" tracking in Adwords ads and after a user clicks on your ad then URL add that keyword in "utm_term" field in the URL itself. So i suggest that you pick your cheapest keyword and click on your ad and check that URL is picking up the the keyword in "utm_term" field or not.
One more suggestion add "utm_campaign" parameter before "utm_term", may be it can help you to solve the issue.

My opinion!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
These ads are running in a campaign that only runs on the Google search network. This is a campaign that targets all search users in the United States. Bid strategy is enhanced CPC. The campaigns is sett o run on all devices (no device preference or mobile bid adjustment).

Here is an example of my destination URLs as they are current set up for this campaign. My company's info has been changed, but this will give you an idea of how it is set up now:

http://www.lollipops.com/free-lollipops/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&utm_con...

With this setup, the keyword that gets passed along is the actual phrase "{keyword}," with the braces. Very discouraging!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Abhishek, thank you for your suggestion. I tried clicking on an actual ad of ours, and the term "{keyword}" is what is being passed along.

I will try putting "utm_campaign" before "utm_term"... hopefully that will make a difference!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott

One more point, have you changed the setting in Analytics to allow manual tagging parameters to override auto-tagging parameters. If not then please change it.
Guide to change the setting:-

#Log in to Analytics.
#Click Admin in the upper right to open the administrative interface.
#Choose the relevant account and property.
#Click Property Settings.
#Click Advanced Settings.
#Select the Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values) checkbox.
#Click Apply.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ahhh... So I can't use auto-tagging and manual UTM parameters at the same time? I want to use auto-tagging for tracking on Google Analytics, but we also use 3rd party tracking software that needs UTM parameters. It seems like auto-tagging isn't interfering with the UTM parameters being passed properly, EXCEPT for the keyword one. Too bad!