AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Search for Multiple Regions in Multiple Service Lines

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I work for a financial company that has breaks out their regions into 16 custom areas that don't typically match with pre-defined regions such as state or metro. They need to be able to see reporting broken out by region, and they prefer to be able to allocate specific budgets as well (so that our larger markets don't eat up all our budget). 

For Display Network, I have been breaking out each area into its own campaign. However, now that we're getting more and more into paid search, this method doesn't seem to work. Instead of using the 16 regions, I've simplified them into our 6 "super-regions," but making optimizations across several redundant ad groups is time consuming and often confusing.

I'd love to have one campaign per product/service, but I don't think it's possible if we need to retain control over budget.

Any tips on best practices here? Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@David F;

I would consider shared budget. This would limit the overall spend and allocate budget based on each campaign performances.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Additional info: We have around 200 locations across 4 states and AdWords account is linked to MyBusiness account. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Are you using shared budget?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I have been utilizing shared budget for my display campaigns but not search. At least not yet. So far, most of my search campaigns have been limited by budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @David F Have you thought about creating labels for your unique / master locations? That way you can apply a filter (filter by label) which should help you to group your master locations together. This should help you report back on top level CPA and conversion rate per area.

I'd still advise segmenting the channels at a later date so you can truly analyse your KPI's for each channel - there might be different sweet spots you need to aim for. Display PPC campaigns can tend to drag overall conversion rates down and bump up CPA - it's more used for brand awareness as opposed to capturing people who are actively searching so I'd advise to keep search campaigns, display campaigns and remarketing campaigns all separate. 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Alex B. Yes, I keep all my channels segmented. I actually have a totally separate accounts for different product lines that roll up into different MCCs (which I do for both reporting and billing reasons). Using labels is a good suggestion, but my current naming convention for campaigns allows me to quickly filter as well.

Unfortunately, I don't really think there's any solution to my issue. AdWords has helped by rolling out Shared Budget, but I think I really only have two options:

Option 1: Continue as is, with several duplicate campaigns, ad groups, keywords, and ads targeting different geographic regions.

Option 2: Lump all campaigns into one (multi-state) region with a lower total daily budget and increase the location bid adjustment around my brick & mortar locations by a fairly high percentage. In theory, this should keep large cities, like Louisville, KY, from eating too much of my budget even though we only have 5 locations there.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@David F;

I would consider shared budget. This would limit the overall spend and allocate budget based on each campaign performances.