AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Search Intent in the Display Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello, 

I have a campaign set up targeting users in different locations which show a search intent towards my desired location. The thing is that most of the clicks (90%) I am getting are coming from the Display Network and the quality seems to be pretty bad.

My question is, how does Google interprets location intention in the Display Network? I understand how this is done in the search network, but what parameters are taken into account when showing a user my ad which is only targeted at users with a search intent into my location?

I am not sure I am making myself clear, but I hope I am.

Thanks a lot for any tip! I was never ever able to take value out of the DN and I am sure there must be!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yakito
December 2015

Re: Search Intent in the Display Network

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Yakito,

According to what you said I assume you are running a Search Network with Display Select Campaign. In this campaign type, the same set of keywords is used for both Search and Display Network to trigger your ads in general. For this reason, your Display Network campaigns usually is optimized for a wider audience if you stay with the default settings only. It needs further fine tuning and optimization to make it more targeted and to bring in more relevancy. 

My advice would be - if you are not sure what you are actually doing, have separate campaigns for Search Network and Display Network. It will give you more control in terms of optimization, management, and reporting. 

To your next question - there are several targeting options in Google Display Network with AdWords. But when you add keywords or topic in your targeting, it works based on Contextual Targeting. What is it?

Contextual targeting starts with you adding keywords or topics to ad groups in your Display Network campaigns. Keywords are individual words, whereas a topic is a webpage’s concepts or central theme rather than its individual terms.

Hence, the better context you give to the system, the more relevancy to your core intent would be. 

You can read more about Contextual Targeting here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404186?hl=en&ref_topic=3121944

To read more about available targeting options with GDN, read here  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6056342?hl=en&rd=1

To sum up, users' intent and the method to target it is not the same on Search Network and on Display Network. Practically speaking, it can't be possible either. Why?

On search network, people actively look for something, this is the reason their intent is more precise and clear. But on Display Network, they are not searching, they are consuming contents. Hence, their intent cannot be 100% definite, it's vague. You need to establish relevance to the context or to the central theme of the contents they are consuming. Yes, there are other options as well, where you can target them based on their interests, affinity, demographics etc. Google goes even deeper into it by allowing you to target people who are found to be in the purchase funnel already. It's called in-market segments. 

In short, the options are overwhelming. You need to pick the right one for your advertising goals. The best would be to start reading those articles which I referred.

If you have more questions, feel free to post it here. 

All the best.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Yakito,
I assume you're talking about the location targeting option of "users in, searching for or interested about my target location". On the display network, I believe it's just a contextually target match. There's no "intent" as there would be with the search network using a term like "hotels in Ireland".

On the display network, if a user was looking at a page showing the top 10 most beautiful sights in Ireland, Google would (I assume) match that to the user being in the "interested about my target location" portion of the targeting.

When you think about it, there really isn't any other way Google would know what a users "intent" is on the display network. I don't think about it much because it's not a targeting option we use for ANY accounts that we manage.

Hope that helps.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello Yakito,

What type of campaign you are using, is it search with display select or display only?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

To follow with Dave above, Search and Display Network behave differently due to different type of audiences online.

When you talk about search intent, it is specific to Search network. In terms of Display, the AdWords system will look at the type of content you are interested in top, which is coupled up with any keywords, placements you are targeting specifically along with other advanced strategies (demographics, topics etc...)

More details around targeting using GDN can be reviewed here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704368?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yakito
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Yakito,

According to what you said I assume you are running a Search Network with Display Select Campaign. In this campaign type, the same set of keywords is used for both Search and Display Network to trigger your ads in general. For this reason, your Display Network campaigns usually is optimized for a wider audience if you stay with the default settings only. It needs further fine tuning and optimization to make it more targeted and to bring in more relevancy. 

My advice would be - if you are not sure what you are actually doing, have separate campaigns for Search Network and Display Network. It will give you more control in terms of optimization, management, and reporting. 

To your next question - there are several targeting options in Google Display Network with AdWords. But when you add keywords or topic in your targeting, it works based on Contextual Targeting. What is it?

Contextual targeting starts with you adding keywords or topics to ad groups in your Display Network campaigns. Keywords are individual words, whereas a topic is a webpage’s concepts or central theme rather than its individual terms.

Hence, the better context you give to the system, the more relevancy to your core intent would be. 

You can read more about Contextual Targeting here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404186?hl=en&ref_topic=3121944

To read more about available targeting options with GDN, read here  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6056342?hl=en&rd=1

To sum up, users' intent and the method to target it is not the same on Search Network and on Display Network. Practically speaking, it can't be possible either. Why?

On search network, people actively look for something, this is the reason their intent is more precise and clear. But on Display Network, they are not searching, they are consuming contents. Hence, their intent cannot be 100% definite, it's vague. You need to establish relevance to the context or to the central theme of the contents they are consuming. Yes, there are other options as well, where you can target them based on their interests, affinity, demographics etc. Google goes even deeper into it by allowing you to target people who are found to be in the purchase funnel already. It's called in-market segments. 

In short, the options are overwhelming. You need to pick the right one for your advertising goals. The best would be to start reading those articles which I referred.

If you have more questions, feel free to post it here. 

All the best.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
That great suggestion Ratan, that why I have first asked for the type of campaign.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Archit, yes I am using search with display select, but most of my clicks are coming from the DN and with really poor results. I have good results with the SN, but honestly could never manage to get results from the DN. The intent is so different.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, yes it looks like to different worlds. I will create a different campaign only for the DN and make some tests there with less budget.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Yakito,

Again there are two options in the search Network with display select campaign,

• Standard
  • All features(recommended)

If you have opted for standard then you can not access all the setting for the display network to optimize your campaign to a great level.
These features include(which you can not access with standard option):

• ad delivery methods, and all ad extensions
  • The Display Network tab, which includes targeting methods such as Display keywords, placements, remarketing, and site category options.

So always recommended is all features option.

Even if you have all features(search network with display select) selected, still you can not use some unique features including those which have been mentioned for standard plus Interest category, gender, age, parental status, and topic targeting, as compared to display network only.
And these are the advanced features which help to optimize the display network with better control.

Hence, it is always recommended to go with search and display networks separately for better control.

Regards