AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Search Campaign never reaches its budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running search only with

avg. 1.13 cpc. 

max. 1.55 cpc.

7am-12pm (5 hours)

Daily budget of $600

standard delivery method

The problem is, i never actually reach my $600 for the day. It usually ends it at about $380-$400. I am planning on increasing the $600 daily higher, but it seems pointless as i never get to the budget limit! I want to run on accelerated to test it out. My question is, how quickly will the $600 spend in the 5 hours time frame? Will i end up with a higher average cpc? Will my campaign overall performance suffer?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Search Campaign never reaches its budget

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

There could be a number of scenarios here;

Either you bid too low and don't get enough impressions; or you target too narrow, or users don't show interest in the product and don't click Smiley Surprised

Check the following:

•  Impression share due to quality: this is a good indication whether your ad has enough exposure.
  • What is your average position?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Tomik,

What are the goals of your campaign? Are you tracking any conversions/sales? Is the goal simply to deplete the budget? Are your campaigns performing well so far (are the users you're sending to the site high quality)? How are you measuring success and how are you doing so far?

If you simply want to deplete the budget, set your delivery method to accelerated and increase your Max CPC so you're aggressively seeking top 2 positions. Also, ensure that your mobile ads are above position 2.0 by using device bid modifiers.

If that doesn't move the dial, you can look into widening the "net" you're using, either by adding in new campaign types (display for instance), new/additional locations or by using more flexible match types along with potentially additional, higher volume keywords.

As Moshe pointed out, It's really tough to say without a few additional details.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

you can:
- rise bids for keywords which have low ave positions
- extend the number of keywords by using keyword planner & search terms report
- choose another (more "broader") match type for keywords
- use DSA type of search campaigns, if didn't use it yet
- extend the geo target (if your campaigns doesn't cover all the regions that your business covers)

But before increasing the budget spend check if the current spend pays off.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
HI Tomik,

Apart from the already great advice you have here. I would just like add that, not only do you need to start bidding higher for your core themes (raise the bids by 50% at least to check if there is any change in spends) but you can also try shifting campaign delivery method to 'Accelerated'.

Accelerated will surely help you spend the budget that you want to for your targeted themes. This is specially important because, you are running your campaigns for just 5 Hours. Accelerated Delivery for such a short duration campaign should do the trick for you.

Other than this, I think adding keywords with non restrictive mathctypes (e.g. - Broad or BMM) would definitely help you expand your reach and in turn the spends.

Do let us know how you proceed on this.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@ShashankSingh actually, Accelerated delivery won't help in this situation.  Accelerated Delivery only affects the amount spent if the budget is limited, and then the only effect that it has is to spend that budget as quickly as possible, not spend more.

Standard delivery always attempts to spend your entire daily budget, and takes Ad scheduling into account, so if your schedule is for 5 hours a day, it'll attempt to spend that budget in the 5 hours.  Since Tomik is not reaching his daily budget, this indicates AdWords is unable to spend it and Accelerated Delivery will not change this situation.  The only way to increase spend is via the methods already suggested by others in this thread.

As explained in this help page:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404248?hl=en

"Your ad delivery method is relevant if your campaign is limited by budget since it allows you to decide how quickly you want your budget to be spent. If your campaign isn’t limited by budget, the ad delivery method won’t be useful since your budget is high enough to enable your ads to serve throughout the entire day."

(my bold),

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
@Jon_Gritton - I completely agree with you on this and in theory, 'Accelerated' delivery wouldn't help here but I have seen campaigns that were never spending the full extent of their daily budget on 'Standard Delivery' but when shifted to 'Accelerated' ended up spending much more and on many occasions the entirety of the daily budget for the campaign.

I think this is a avenue worth testing if you have nothing to loose and worst comes to worst the campaign doesn't spend the budget amount. Irrespective of this, I would still recommen that Tomik should try expanding his keyword structure and include broad & BMM matchtype variations to his campaign structure.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I am under a similar impression as Shashank and (I think) I have also noticed similar results. It's not concrete as I always just assumed - standard = impressions are missed and accelerated = more impression share. The more impressions, the higher the likelyhood of more clicks. More clicks = more budget spent.

I suppose that by also increasing CPC's among other spend increasing tasks, I'm working from many angles to get the most from my budgets and it may not be attributed to the delivery method.

Admittedly, the language is a bit funny here.

I've been wrong many times before. Smiley Happy

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@PPCBossman @ShashankSingh I think the key confusion is that Accelerated can be more useful in some ways when the budget is limited.  I also think the actual term "Accelerated" is misleading as it suggests greater performance whereas it's actually just about how the budget is spent throughout the day.  "Quickly" might be a better word.

I've heard lots of tales of Accelerated somehow delivering more clicks than Standard, but I've never seen this in my own managed Accounts where the budget is unlimited.  If you have a budget of $5000 a day and usually spend only about $1000, and have 0% lost IS for budget, then regardless of the delivery method, AdWords is entering your keywords into every eligible auction.  Let's face it, there aren't many settings in AdWords that prevent an Account holder from spending more money, so if Accelerated created more clicks than Standard, you can be pretty sure that Accelerated would be the default and the help files would not say it's "not recommended for most advertisers".

It's possible that other confusion arises where daily budget is reasonably close to average daily spend.  As I said,for my "unlimited" Accounts, I set the daily budget way, way above the norm, a figure they can't possibly reach.  However, if your Campaign(s) fluctuate in spend (as many do) and the daily budget is sometimes reached and sometimes not - and not often enough to trigger the "Limited by Budget" warning - then Accelerated might deliver more clicks over time because AdWords won't be relying upon historical performance that might expect a lower spend than possible for that particular day.

As Shashank has said, there's no harm in trying it for a few days but if the spend does substantially increase we'll have to ask Google why that is when all their documentation says that it shouldn't.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits