AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Search Campaign metrics , how to interpret ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About a Search Campaign : 

1) It is unclear to me if raising the bid generates more impressions or it only raises the position of the Ad for the same number of impressions . When exactly does a higher bid generate more impressions and why ?

2) At what value does the metric "Search Lost IS (budget)" translate in a warning that a campaign that is "Limited by budget" ? Is it at any value ?

3) Can you have an avg.pos. of close to 1 for a keyword , let's say 1.2 and still have a high value for the metric "Search Lost IS (rank)" , meaning a Lot of Lost impressions because of ad rank ?

4) About the definition of the metric

"Search impression share: The impressions you’ve received on the Search Network divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive."

Why is there a difference between the impressions received and the impressions "eligible to receive" shouldn't these numbers be the same ? In what situations do I not receive an impression that I am eligible for ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Search Campaign metrics , how to interpret ?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
And now the rest:

2) At what value does the metric "Search Lost IS (budget)" translate in a warning that a campaign that is "Limited by budget" ? Is it at any value ?

This depends on your actual goals. If you are not specifically interested in getting the maximum traffic volume, a 20-30% loss is not necessarily a warning. If you want to dominate a particular niche or smaller market, than this values could be a warning.

3) Can you have an avg.pos. of close to 1 for a keyword , let's say 1.2 and still have a high value for the metric "Search Lost IS (rank)" , meaning a Lot of Lost impressions because of ad rank ?

No in the case of exact match keywords.

In the case of broad keywords it's better to avoid the situation all together - unless you have a lot of money to throw away on unrelated queries. In this situation it's better to worry about keywords to exclude. Anyway, at least in theory it could happen. An average 1.2 position does not mean that all the keywords show on 1st and 2nd spot, you can get some on 6th, 7th and lower. So, 1.2 it's just the average - it could be lots on top, very few near bottom. And those on bottom could loose impression shares when they drop on 2nd page of results. Anyway, even in this case Search Lost IS (rank) won't be very high. There is a cool report you can check just to be sure you are not in this situation. Go to the broad campaign, select keywords tab, then select Segment -> Top vs Other. Now scroll down to see the average for campaign, click on the + sign near Total Search. Is the average in the section "Google search: Other" low? When this number is low you can get higher and higher "Search Lost IS (rank)".

4) Why is there a difference between the impressions received and the impressions "eligible to receive" shouldn't these numbers be the same ?

Because you are not auctioning alone (because of the competition). Let's say there are 20 guys auctioning for "shoes" and there are only 11 ad spots available. All 20 competitors are eligible for an impression, but only 11 will actually get one.

5) In what situations do I not receive an impression that I am eligible for?

- when your adrank is lower
- when your budged is depleted
- approval status for ads could also affect

Your adank could be lower than your competitors adrank because:

- you can't afford to pay as much as them
- your quality score is lower (your CTR is lower, landing pages are not so good...)

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian, very good questions:

Question: It is unclear to me if raising the bid generates more impressions or it only raises the position of the Ad for the same number of impressions . When exactly does a higher bid generate more impressions and why ?

If you raise your bids, you will raise the position of your ads. The effect is different for these 2 cases:

1) For exact match keywords:

In theory it should not have a direct effect the number of impressions. If the position of the keyword before you raised the price was on 1st page, than you should get the same number of impression. As a consequence of higher position you will get: better CTR, more traffic, you will spend more - but impressions will be the same in this case (there might be some exceptions, but it's generally true).

2) For broad match keywords:

Things are different here. With higher prices you will get more impressions. When you raise the CPC for a broad keyword you will start advertising for new keywords that are less relevant. These keywords might have lower ad-rank, and the new CPC's has the chance to increase it so that they are eligible to trigger ads on 1st page. This will show your ads for new keywords, and will increase the total number of impressions you get.

I have to go now, I will be back to answer the rest of the questions later.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
And now the rest:

This depends on your actual goals. If you are not specifically interested in getting the maximum traffic volume, a 20-30% loss is not necessarily a warning. If you want to dominate a particular niche or smaller market, than this values could be a warning.

No in the case of exact match keywords.

In the case of broad keywords it's better to avoid the situation all together - unless you have a lot of money to throw away on unrelated queries. In this situation it's better to worry about keywords to exclude. Anyway, at least in theory it could happen. An average 1.2 position does not mean that all the keywords show on 1st and 2nd spot, you can get some on 6th, 7th and lower. So, 1.2 it's just the average - it could be lots on top, very few near bottom. And those on bottom could loose impression shares when they drop on 2nd page of results. Anyway, even in this case Search Lost IS (rank) won't be very high. There is a cool report you can check just to be sure you are not in this situation. Go to the broad campaign, select keywords tab, then select Segment -> Top vs Other. Now scroll down to see the average for campaign, click on the + sign near Total Search. Is the average in the section "Google search: Other" low? When this number is low you can get higher and higher "Search Lost IS (rank)".

4) Why is there a difference between the impressions received and the impressions "eligible to receive" shouldn't these numbers be the same ?

Because you are not auctioning alone (because of the competition). Let's say there are 20 guys auctioning for "shoes" and there are only 11 ad spots available. All 20 competitors are eligible for an impression, but only 11 will actually get one.

5) In what situations do I not receive an impression that I am eligible for?

- when your adrank is lower
- when your budged is depleted
- approval status for ads could also affect

Your adank could be lower than your competitors adrank because:

- you can't afford to pay as much as them
- your quality score is lower (your CTR is lower, landing pages are not so good...)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To make things more simple at question 1 I would say that I am targeting a small region and the daily budget allows me and the others to be displayed for almost all of the impressions for a keyword.

My theory is this , about question 1 :

A) if there are up to 11 competitors for a keyword , having your Ad displayed for all the impressions is a matter of only having enough daily budget for all clicks. By modifying the bid in this situation you only tweak the position.

It shouldn't matter if keyword is exact or simple broad. From the keyword planner even simple broad have an upper limit for local searches matching, usually around 4-5 times more impressions than the exact match.

In this case the Impressions share metric for all should be over 90%.

B) if there are more than 11 competitors and they all have more than enough daily budget the battle for impressions begins, the system cannot award them a spot for all the impressions, some of them get dropped out. In this situation the tweaking for a higher bid can make the difference between being left out of the 11 spots in an impression or not. In this case the impression share metric cannot be high for all.

The only tweaking to do when you don't have enough daily budget is to concentrate the budget on a smaller time frame in order to afford at a certain bid to have a high position even for a limited amount of time, to gain conversions.

About question 4 , I was intrigued by how they define eligible, if you expand "how our system estimates impression share" in here : link , they say 

" It includes all auctions where your ad showed or where the system estimates that your ad was competitive in the auction. For example, it could include auctions where your ad could show at twice its current bid, but could exclude auctions where your ad is estimated to need a 1,000% bid increase in order to appear."

So the eligible set of impressions doesn't mean all the impressions for that day,all the auctions where everybody with enough ad rank participated. Only the auctions where I could have participated if the bid was slightly higher, or at least this is how I am scanning the text Smiley Happy

Thank you for the help, your words made me rethink the situation from another perspective it was interesting.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, that is why I like good questions so much. They also make me think from another perspective. And this is the best way to learn and get a good grasp of how the system works.

I completely agree with you at 1st point A and B. At least that's the way I understood it. At 4 I know what you mean because I was there too Smiley Happy. I think that the Adwords Help section could be improved a lot, especially with more concrete examples.

Anyways, send more questions when you have them!