1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Scope of "Lifts" and "Penalties" from Ads that are Performing Well/Poorly

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

After doing a lot of reading about Adwords, I am under the impression that well-performing keywords can provide a lift to other quality scores. Similarly, I am under the impression that poor performing keywords will tend to do the opposite (essentially poisoning the well).

My question is about the SCOPE of these effects?

Are these effects felt only within the same adgroup as the good/bad keyword? Or are they felt across the whole campaign? Or across the whole account? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Re: Scope of "Lifts" and "Penalties" from Ads that are Performing Well/Poorly

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Evan,

Thanks for posting to the Community! To clarify, there is no account-level or even campaign-level quality score--quality score is calculated at auction time on a keyword-by-keyword basis, and the number you see in your account is only an estimate for that particular keyword. Once the keyword participates in auctions and begins amassing data, its quality score will be determined by its own past performance. You can read a bit more about this in a similar conversation that happened a couple months ago here.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

An addition to @CassieH's reply. By "better performing" and "less performing"  advertiser commonly  refer to CTR. And CTR is the predominant  component of to the QS, which is calculated at the keyword level. All the rest is just a myth... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Would be pretty widespread myth???

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Evan R wrote:
Would be pretty widespread myth???

Correct;  a myth: "a widely held but false belief or idea."

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’