1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Scope of History Factored in QS

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Title pretty much says it, I am curious about the scope of history that is factored into QS.

Assume I have a KW that is advertising with a single ad, and the KW has a CTR of ~.50%.

I pause active the ad, and I either turn on one with a higher CTR (maybe 3%) or I make a new ad.

My question is whether the established .50% CTR will have a drag factor on the quality score?

Or is quality score calculated fresh every time, based strictly on the page-KW-ad match, without regard to history?

My impression is that history must be factored on some level, because everyone seems to report that CTR is a huge factor (which is inherently historic).

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Evan R,

Historical data are highly important in calculating the Quality Score. However, AdWords has never disclosed the exact mathematical formula for the calculation of the QS values. What we can say for sure is that Quality Score is an aggregated estimate of how well a keyword has performed overall in past ad auctions.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Lakatos.

So the next question would be whether I am better off recreating a group if it has accumulated a dump QS.

Check out this thread, where we are presently having a very much related conversation:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Sanity-Checking-Best-Course-with-...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Evan R,

It really makes little difference whether you improve the results of the current AdGroup or delete it and start over. The history of the keywords in your account will still be considered. We don't know specifically the period of the look back window for performance, Google does not disclose that info, but I suspect it's some where between 90 and 180 days.

First, work on organizing your keywords by theme in your AdGroups and write ads to those keywords within the groups. This should help with your CTR. Then raise your bids a bit to improve your AdRank and position on the page. QS is a comparative score. Even though CTR is adjusted for position on the page, your competition seems to have a higher AdRank, most likely due to better CTR on their campaigns. Raising your bids will improve your AdRank and position on the page to give you an opportunity to improve the CTR and QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"The history of the keywords in your account will still be considered."

@petebardo, you are suggesting it is the whole acocunt that matters, rather than the adgroup?

So like, there is a halo or drag effect across the entire account?

Meaning, if I improve a particular adgroup, my QS might still remain awful, simply because other campaigns and adgroups in the account remain weaker?

If I have a whole bunch of low QS AGs (SKAGs, actually), spread across a bunch of campaigns, am I better off scrapping and re-starting the whole account and starting again with just the Campaigns, Groups, KWs, and Ads that I KNOW are performing well????

I guess this sounds contrary to some other advice I have been given in the past:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Scope-of-quot-Lifts-quot-and-qu...

(notes that the person who responded as best answer in that thread seems to be a google employee)

It's like no one agrees on this stuff.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

At the end of the day, the profitability of the account is what matters.  If you do all of the "things" that help your account become profitable (good ad copy, landing page, conversion rate, etc) then your QS will improve as well.

Starting a new ad group will likely make no difference, especially if you are using the same landing page, user experience, etc etc.  Focus on the "end game" and not so much on the QS.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shanee_Kirk, thanks.

We work in the software development industry. Our sales cycle can be as much as two years, but a single contract can "balance" the adwords investment quite a bit.

Even so, traction on our adwords account has been fairly slow and generally underwhelming. To compete on some of the primary keywords for our industry, we must often pay >$20 per click, which is a ridiculous expense for a mere click, as far as I am concerned.

To combat this, I am obviously trying to find a way to improve our quality score. Many of our scores are quite low, but some are reasonable. It's really hard to understand what might be causing the issue. We have an average CTR of ~1%, and some CTRs as high as 5-9% within the past several months -- but the corresponding quality scores are still quite low in many cases (1 or 2) which leads me to wonder what might be happening.

One of the ongoing concerns that I have is a mysterious "halo effect," and conversely a "drag factor" that I have read about in a number of places. The idea is that when you have a whole bunch of keywords that are performing well or poorly, it somehow lifts or penalizes the whole account / campaign / group (there seem to be some different perspectives on the scope of the effect).

The reason this is important to me is that we have many campaigns, with many SKAGs. Some perform reasonably well, and others less so. My intention is to deal with the SKAGs in a reasonably orderly way, one at a time, until we can improve their performance, or otherwise decide that they should be turned off. I make some changes, give it a few weeks (at least 100 impressions), and then make more changes if the results are not improving performance. I'm also in the system regularly to check search terms and add negatives. On the whole, we seem sufficiently long tail and reasonably well-focused, because MOST of the search terms have been valid -- and frankly, when there are invalid search terms, we don't really get a lot of repeats (the invalid searches tend to be really obscure).  

I'm doing my best to ensure that we have parallel keywords, ad text, and landing page content (with keywords in appropriate heading and title tags, body text, etc.) -- but it doesn't seem to be making that big of a difference. This experience gels with the overriding community impression that CTR is what matters most, but again, this just leads me to wonder what is going on, because some of our CTRs are quite good. 

What has me worried is this mysterious halo/drag factor. I am wondering if my focused changes are not helping, because the account as a whole is too mired in low scores.

Hence this thread. I want to know if I am really better off starting fresh.

I also am trying to get a better sense of how long I should normally wait before deciding that a given change might have no effect and/or was a success or failure. I am reasonably certain that I would notice dramatic and "through-the-roof" success pretty quickly, but I think that sort of success might be unlikely. I'm anticipating a more modest and gradual process, which requires a bit more waiting and scrutiny. 

Several people have said that we should "just spend more" to improve our quality scores. This seems strange to me, and doesn't make sense -- although I certainly wouldn't put it past google to magically "lift" the QS of those who make a larger investment. But, frankly, this doesn't seem to align with what Google has repeatedly insisted are the primary factors in determining QS (CTR, relevance of ad text to landing page text, bounce, etc.) 

Let me know your thoughts.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Spending more may help to increase your quality scores because if your ads are ranking in higher positions, they become more likely to pull clicks and conversions. 

Care to share your KPI's?  Say, over 3 to 6 months:   Avg daily ad spend - Avg cost per click - Avg CTR - Avg CPC. - Conversion Rate. 

Then you may get additional helpful advice. 

Learning how to "think properly" about optimizing AdWords campaigns takes a long time, and it is easy to get it wrong. If you are not doing AdWords all the time, but try to optimize one campaign with general knowledge, it become very likely you will be lacking all the know-how which is required to deal with optimization tradeoffs and decisions.  It is rare that asking one question, or even a few will be adequate to convey all that.  So in my experience, there is usually only so far a DIY approach can take a campaign, unless you have spent a lot of time in AdWords. It only takes one mistaken assumption to send you down the wrong path; and there are many "forks in the road". Just fyi, from my perspective.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Evan R

CTR is metric to identify the performance of the KW and as far as the QS is concerned, it is very much dependent of the two factors which are : relevancy of the keyword and ad copies added to the landing page and hence it is calculated once when the KW's are added and starts registering clicks. 

Regarding the ads, the CTR of the ads is directly proportional to the relevancy of the ad copies with the landing page and the search query entered by the users.

Coming back to the question, No, the KW's and ad copies are mutually exclusive and therefore if you have a new ad added to the campaign, the CTR of the KW will not affect the performance of the ad.Hope this answers your query. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

We work with many SAAS b2b providers.  So, what you want to do is track *something*, even if it's not the final conversion and then optimize to that.  Phone calls, inquires on forms, demos downloaded, white papers etc.  There should be many points of interest that can be counted as a conversion.

2nd - You can now integrate salesforce into Adwords.  This will help you track the "after the fact" and drag on the program.