AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Same keywords, similar ads, different impressions. Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have 4 ads running in one ad group in one campaign, all ads using the same keywords. I have set rotation to optimise for clicks. Each ad is worded differently but they share common words and theme like 'kitchen' 'design' 'free consultation' . Despite this similarity, some ads are getting a lot of impressions while others get none. Why is this when they use the same keywords? Shouldnt they generate similar impressions? They are all linked to the same landning page which is relevant to the adwords worsing and keywords.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Same keywords, similar ads, different impressions. Why?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Alec,

Since rotation is set to optimise for clicks, AdWords is most likely showing the ad with the highest click-through rate (CTR) more often than others, because a higher CTR will lead to more clicks. Showing an ad more often than another ad means that that ad will get more impressions, hence the difference you're seeing.

If you'd like all ads to get an even amount of impressions, you'd have to set adrotation to rotate indefinitely in the campaign settings. It's however advised to let adwords optimise for conversions or if those are not available, to let adwords optimise for clicks. Indefinite rotation is usually only used temporarily to manually test which ad performs better.

Ken

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Alec,

Since rotation is set to optimise for clicks, AdWords is most likely showing the ad with the highest click-through rate (CTR) more often than others, because a higher CTR will lead to more clicks. Showing an ad more often than another ad means that that ad will get more impressions, hence the difference you're seeing.

If you'd like all ads to get an even amount of impressions, you'd have to set adrotation to rotate indefinitely in the campaign settings. It's however advised to let adwords optimise for conversions or if those are not available, to let adwords optimise for clicks. Indefinite rotation is usually only used temporarily to manually test which ad performs better.

Ken

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Alec,

I agree with my friend Ken, You can change your campaign Ad Rotation setting into “Rotate evenly”. However this setting also does not give guarantee that all of your ads gets equal amount of impression. It gives equal priority to enter into the bid auction only. Then other factors of ads to be considered like relevancy of ads with search terms and quality score of the ads.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Great thread Rakesh and Ken well done!