2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Same keywords in different ad groups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I have the same keywords in different ad groups within the same campaign, does that mean the adgroups are competing against one another?

I know this is true for campaigns. I have multiple campaigns running in my Google AdWords account and I have made sure there are no 2 of the same keywords in different campaigns because then they will be competing against one another. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leah K
January 2017

Re: Same keywords in different ad groups

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@LEAH K,

If I have the same keywords in different ad groups within the same campaign, does that mean the adgroups are competing against one another?

Correct, competing is not the correct word, it will be cannibalize, ideally one keywords, which has has worst performance should be paused.

Use the AdWords editor and find the duplicate keywords in the accounts and pause them based on their performance.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Leah,

If you have the same keywords in different ad groups within the same campaign the they will compete against each other, in a sense. This assumes that the ad groups have overlap in their targeting settings. If both keywords are eligible to trigger ads on a search query then Google will use the ad for the keyword with the highest ad rank (quality score * bid).

Some people are concerned about having "competing" keywords in an account because of the belief that it will inflate CPCs. You could end up paying a higher CPC than if you only had one keyword, but the caveat is that you will have a higher ad position. This is NOT the same thing as having other websites competing on your keyword which would inflate the CPC for a given position. AdWords uses a second price auction so the CPC for a position is determined by other advertisers and not any conflicts that occur in your account.

On the flip side, having "competing" keywords in your account may lead to a lower CPC. For example, say that you are bidding on "toyota cars" in a general cars ad group and it has a quality score of 5. Now say that you create a new ad group specifically for toyota cars and add that keyword in there as well. The new ad group will have more relevant ad copy so the quality score will be higher, say 8. Assuming very similar bids on these keywords, your ads will now be eligible to show in the same position at a lower CPC or at a higher position for a similar CPC.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leah K
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@LEAH K,

Correct, competing is not the correct word, it will be cannibalize, ideally one keywords, which has has worst performance should be paused.

Use the AdWords editor and find the duplicate keywords in the accounts and pause them based on their performance.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your help. Do you have any idea how I can access Adwords Editor? I tried to look for "find duplicate keywords" under Tools, but it was not appearing. I realized I need Adwords Editor to do so (as you mentioned). But I'm not sure how to add that to my Adwords account. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@LEAH K,

AdWords Editor is Account Management offline software.

I would suggest you to pls read the basics of AdWords Editor here first.

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/?hl=en#topic=3290839

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jim, 

I was reading this thread because I have the same issue here. I sell Mandalas which regroups bedding sets, wall hangings, roundies etc. I created an ad group for Mandalas (with Site Links such as Bedding Sets or Roundies) and I target all those mandala keywords. I also created several ad groups with one for Bedding Sets, one for Roundies and one for Wall Hangings. Because of that I have some keywords overlap. 

Are you saying that this is fine and that it can actually be a good thing?