# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Let's say I have these two Ad Groups with these Keywords:

Group 1: Rice Paper

Keywords: "rice paper", "vegetal paper"

Group 2: Colorful Rice Paper

Keywords: "colorful rice paper", "colorful vegetal paper"

Question: Should I, also, include the keyword "rice paper" in Group 2 ? What would you do?

If answer is "yes" then, Which one of these two groups google will show when someone searches for "rice paper"?

Muchas Gracias.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same keyword in two Ad Groups?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Walter,

you should keep your keywords closely related to your ad groups:

Ad Group 1: Rice Paper

Keywords: rice paper

Ad Group 2: Colorful Rice Paper

Keywords: colorful rice paper

Ad Group 3: Vegetal paper

Keywords: vegetal paper

Ad Group 4: Vegetal paper

Keywords: colorful vegetal paper

This is quite ideal world, but don't oversegment this or you are not going to get enough data to work with. Make sure all of these terms are well searched. If not I would suggest to merge keywords from  ad group 1 and ad group 2 into single ad group. The same goes with ad group 3 and ad group 4.

Do not combinate completely different keywords in a single keywords or it will negatively reflect on your Quality Score.

Tomáš

Same keyword in two Ad Groups?

Eva
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Eva
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Walter M

As @Tomáš Kraus mentioned already, you can try creating a single keyword ad group if you are sure that these keywords receive enough searches. 

If you decide to go with this precise segmentation, you can also add negative "colorful" to your ad groups that contain "rice paper" and "vegetal paper" keywords to make sure that ads from the "rice paper" ad group will not appear when someone searches for "colorful rice paper".

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hello Eva, it looks like SKAGs, doesn't it? Smiley Happy

I ment it more like this word in all three match types to start things of. So more like this:

Keywords: [rice paper], "rice paper", +rice +paper(this one can be tricky)

Keywords: [colorful rice paper], "colorful rice paper", +colorful +rice +paper

and so on and so forth!

Thanks for pointing that out Eva.

Tomáš

Eva
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Eva
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Tomáš Kraus

I like the strategy you propose, I use it too for some of my campaigns Smiley Happy

This strategy gives more room for campaign optimization and keywords quality score is way higher that average Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Tomas,

I like your idea and also the "negatives" as Eva mentions. What about this? (I just appended the negatives)

Keywords: [rice paper], "rice paper", +rice +paper, -colorful

Keywords: [colorful rice paper], "colorful rice paper", +colorful +rice +paper, -[rice paper]

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

The only problem is that you will have trouble with ad triggering (be sure to check search query reports in the beginning to see which ad group is actually triggering).

Also, this makes it difficult when you are testing new terms.  It can become cumbersome to go through and add all of the appropriate negatives back into each new ad group.

I would try to keep it simple and only create new ad groups if the ad copy needs to be different or if you need a different landing page for the ad group.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Hey Walter,

that is fine, you just don't need to add rice paper as negative keywords in second group, because there is no way any of these keywords could be triggered with this search term.

And as @Shanee_Kirk mentioned, you really want to have different landing pages for these two ad groups, so you can show relevant products for each set of keywords.

Segmenting like this takes a lot of time and you should always consider whether it is worth it. If those search terms are highly searched on Google then answer is yes, otherwise you can easily start with single ad group for both of these terms like I mentioned earlier.

Tomáš

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

I agree with @Shanee_Kirk - Less can often be more, and analyzing the search terms report will give you all the answers you are looking for.

Which adgroup is the "right" adgroup if a user is looking for colored rice paper, but only searches for 'rice paper'? If users don't actually search for all these variations, spending the time to develop a huge structure you have to manage, with no actual results isn't an effective strategy. Make sure you have a conversion strategy in place, mine the search terms report, and develop the account based on what you know works.

Tom

Experts in the Topic
Shanee_Kirk