Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Same keyword in different campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I know this has been addressed before, but I didn't see a response that fit my issue.

I was wondering if it makes sense to use the same keywords across multiple campaigns if the campaigns are targeting different geographical areas?

So in my case, I'm running ads for a church that has multiple campuses around the area. I want to show up for "churches near me" and have it display different ads based on where they're searching from. Since I think you can only geo-target at the campaign level, I created different campaigns using the same keywords, but they're targeting separate areas.

Could this work? Will they still display in both situations? Should this prevent them from competing against each other?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Re: Same keyword in different campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

This strategy will work. As the campaigns are targeting different locations, the keyword will not compete with each other.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mike,

Info is correct. Since you are targeting different geographies, your audiences won't overlap and your keywords won't compete against each other. You are correct in that geos must be set at the campaign level.

I'm a big fan of localized campaigns - you'll have more control over bids in local areas, which is good since competition will likely be different. You can also use specific location details in ads, which can help with engagement. If you haven't already, you should definitely take a look at your options for extensions. I suggest using all extension options but if you only implement a few (for whatever reason) specifically location extensions and call extensions are great for local campaigns.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I have a similar situation to what's described here, I actually tried calling Adwords Support and they were unable to give me a sufficient answer.

I created about 60 different campaigns, each campaign is identical except for the fact that it is targeting a different geo location, all campaigns are call-only campaigns. So here is an example of how it is built:

Ad copy is written using specific location text
keywords are identical except for one which is +keyword +location
location is set to the specific area i'm trying to target

with all this, when I use the preview tool my ad does not show up, instead i get an error that this keyword triggers another ad.

the keyword I used to search is unique to only this specific campaign (+keyword +location) and it is targeting a specific location with no other campaigns/ads targeting that same location.

One google support guy suggested i change +keyword +location to an exact match! I explained that it would minimize my exposure dramatically and it doesn't make sense to me.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mike,

In short, you can use the same keywords under different campaigns if you are targeting them for different location and keywords never compete with each other, but you can't use the same keywords in a different ad group of one campaign.

I hope now all situation is cleared to you.

Thanks. Keep posting your questions.