AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Same Adset - Broad and Phrase vs. Exact (no negatives, different bids)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All,

I was chatting with an Adwords expert about restructuring the account to better exclude certain keyword bids because some campaigns and adsets had overlap between exact and broad keywords.  However, he was insisting that instead of doing a cascade style big with exact as the higher big, that we should do a significantly lower bid on the exact match because it will win anyways.

To my understanding, the QS is identical for a keyword throughout an account regardless of the keyword match at any given time.  So if its a $0.05 bid on the exact and $0.30 on the broad, wouldn't the broad win every time?  

In theory I would use negative keywords in a separate adset for the phrase/broad to make sure the exact wins, but he insisted that Google's algorithm favors the exact match in my account and the bid would automatically be the one that wins.  

Am I missing something?  Is there a different structure when I switch among CPC, CPA, and DSA that I'm  not aware of?

The conversation left me questioning a lot of what I know in adwords!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Same Adset - Broad and Phrase vs. Exact (no negatives, different bids)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Andy Y,

To my understanding, the QS is identical for a keyword throughout an account regardless of the keyword match at any given time.  So if its a $0.05 bid on the exact and $0.30 on the broad, wouldn't the broad win every time? 

Yes, you are right.

In theory I would use negative keywords in a separate adset for the phrase/broad to make sure the exact wins, but he insisted that Google's algorithm favors the exact match in my account and the bid would automatically be the one that wins.  

Agreed. We use negative to restrict the ads triggering from another ad group. If you do not want to restrict these then no need to add cross ad group negatives based on match types.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if I look in the impressions in the account, there are actually a mix between the two...  any explanation there or just an odd bidding phenomenon?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Both, relevancy to the user query and the bidding.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How could relevancy change for [nike shoes], "nike shoes", +nike +shoes, nike shoes?  That's what I feel like I'm missing :-/ 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If the user query is exactly the nike shoes and you are bidding highest on BMM & lowest on exact match then most probably your ad will be triggered through BMM instead of exact though exact is most relevant to the user's query.

And if all the match types have the same bid amount then exact will tend to trigger the ad.

Regards