AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

SOS Display Campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello.

I have many campaigns running under "Search Network with Display Select" and it performing PERFECT in both sides (Search and on Display).

The problem is when I try to SPLIT them to get better ROI tracking.

So, I stopped DISPLAY campaigns  on "Search Network with Display Select" to just follow them on Search Network. This keep performing OK on Serach Network.

BUT, when I created a separate campaign for DISPLAY SELECT the perform is to BAD.  Basically I clone the "Search Network with Display Select" using the same KEYWORDS, ADS, LOCATION, etc, etc, but the campaigns start to show my ads on DIFFERENT placements that dont convert like to "Search Network with Display Select". 

I tried to use all kind of options like "Marketing objectives" and "No marketing objective". I repeat, I create a only DISPLAY SELECT campaign using the SAME ads, keywords, locations, etc, etc, etc, but it dont start showing my ads on wrong placements that are not converting like doing the same on a all together campaign "Search Network with Display Select"

So, if a do a "Search Network with Display Select" the campaigns works perfect showing my ads on CORRECT placements.

but if I want to split it, it starts to show my ads on NOT related placements. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mat

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Re: SOS Display Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Isadora,

Just a thought....

Are you sure that the Display Network was ever giving you good performance? It 'might' be that when you had search with display select that the search network was carrying the weight and you did not realize it.

I would go back and take a gander at the Search with DS setup and segment the networks out to see just what the display network was contributing to your success. Hopefully you were tracking goals such as sales, leads, etc. so you can do a proper analysis.

Take Care,

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Isadora R

Correct;

Once you split  SDS campaign to a search only and a  display only campaign, you have to set all targeting methods for display from scratch.

And the reason for that is that the algorithm for the  targeting method for the display part on SDS  is not fully known to the user. Google uses an optimization algorithm of keywords and placements based on the search campaign, and applies it to the display part. While when a "stand alone" display campaign is set, the algorithm is different, and all targeting methods are  known.

So, you'll have to set  a complete set of targeting methods for your display campaign;

Read my article on the topic;

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @MosheTLV

Thanks for you reply and for you excellent article.

Can you explain me in short words, what are the difference between "Drive Action" by 1.Buy on your website and 2.Take an action on your website ?

From my point of view, are very similar.

My main goal on Display campaigns is make people create free account on my site. Of Course my intention is make them pay for my service, but my first Goal is to make them create a free account.

Thanks!

Mat

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Isadora R;

I prefer to use "all targeting methods" and pick the best  methods which fit my goals. In your case, I would consider topics (based on the type of business you are promoting) and keywords (to narrow the targeting audience)

Not, as explained in my article 8-15 keywords should suffice.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@MosheTLV, thanks for your tips.

I am making multi testing with "All Targeting Methods" and also with "Marketing Objectives"

Can you explain me on few words what are the difference between: "Buy on your website" and "Take an action on your website", please?

I read it severals times, but I dont understand the difference. From my point of view are the same.

Thanks in advance!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Marketing objectives are the targeting methods Google considers to be better performing for brand marketing,
Since your goal is a direct response by the user - use "all targeting methods" and pick the targeting methods, as explained.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Isadora,

Just a thought....

Are you sure that the Display Network was ever giving you good performance? It 'might' be that when you had search with display select that the search network was carrying the weight and you did not realize it.

I would go back and take a gander at the Search with DS setup and segment the networks out to see just what the display network was contributing to your success. Hopefully you were tracking goals such as sales, leads, etc. so you can do a proper analysis.

Take Care,

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'