4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Running afoul of "restricted" keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I sell software which let's you add tabs to your windows. So, naturally, the text ads that I create contain phrases like "Add tabs to" or "Tab your windows" and I create lots of these ads because I am targeting very specific different types of users. Unfortunatly, the word "tab" and "tabs" appears to cause Google to suspect I am selling some kind of drug or pharmacy related product and my ads are either denied outright or placed under review which can literally take weeks.

My question is, is there any way to request some permission from Google to cut me some slack on this? Is there some process for requesting an exception for this one keyword "tab / tabs" so my ads don't keep getting flagged?

Thanks!
Maurice 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Running afoul of "restricted" keywords

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your questions. Jack provided some good suggestions.

I would also recommend requesting an exception when you are creating your ad and/or keywords in AdWords or if the ad has been disapproved. The following article provides information on how to request the exception to a policy before or after a disapproval: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138481

When you submit new ads or make changes to existing ads, they're automatically submitted for review. We work to review all ads in our program as quickly as possible however if your ads have been under review for more than 3 business days, you can send your ad review request to our team directly via this link: http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/request.py?contact_type=approval_request

To avoid an interruption to your ad delivery, it might be a good idea to create a new ad rather than editing an existing ad. This process will help ensure that one ad keeps running while your new ad is under review. Once the new ad is approved, you can delete the old ad.

I hope this information helps!

Rachel

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey,

In this instance I'd say you can do two things:

1. create the ads in adwords editor, wait for them to get disapproved, and then request an exception via editor.

2. phone Google support and explain your situation, and ask for that term to be whitelisted in your ads.

I will also see what I can do to help you further, but try that in the meantime and get back to me.

Cheers

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your questions. Jack provided some good suggestions.

I would also recommend requesting an exception when you are creating your ad and/or keywords in AdWords or if the ad has been disapproved. The following article provides information on how to request the exception to a policy before or after a disapproval: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138481

When you submit new ads or make changes to existing ads, they're automatically submitted for review. We work to review all ads in our program as quickly as possible however if your ads have been under review for more than 3 business days, you can send your ad review request to our team directly via this link: http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/request.py?contact_type=approval_request

To avoid an interruption to your ad delivery, it might be a good idea to create a new ad rather than editing an existing ad. This process will help ensure that one ad keeps running while your new ad is under review. Once the new ad is approved, you can delete the old ad.

I hope this information helps!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rachel and Jack! Rachel, is it possible for me to get some kind of persistent exception for the phrase "tab" and "tabs" as it is going to be in pretty much every single ad I create, and I will be creating many, many ads. It seems like a needless use of my time and Google's time to keep manually approving my ads because of this one word. What do you think?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Maurice,

Every ad needs to be reviewed by our Review Team - whether it be a new ad or an edit to an existing ad. I completely understand the logic of a 'persistent exception' for certain phrases but unfortunately we do not have such a procedure in place due to the possibility of policy violatons. 

I recommend 'requesting the exception' when creating new ads and forwarding them to the Review Team if they have not been reviewed within 72 hours. 

I hope this helps! 

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alrighty, thanks Rachel! I'll keep requesting exceptions for each ad, hope I don't get on the Review Team's nerves!