2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Running More than 1 Ad copy?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Just want to make sure I understand all of this.

I would like to run 3 Ad copy's, all slightly different (different landing page(same domain)). Now if I put them all in the same Ad-Group all three will use the same keywords-is this correct?

Also, I have 16 different sitelinks setup, if I assign all 16 sitelinks to each ad copy, will they also get rotated as google see fit.Is this correct?

How many ad copy can I run under 1 ad group?.

I also understand that I need to go into "Advanced Options" and set to "Rotate" this will make sure each ad copy get equal shares? is this correct?

Thanks 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
September 2015

Re: Running More than 1 Ad copy?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Yes, pairs of keyword +Ads will be triggered by search terms, all keywords from that ad group.

2) Yes sitelinks will be asigned by the way google chooses, except you asign sitelinks to the ad group or campaign, not to the Ads themselves

3) The upper limit is 50 text ads or 300 display Ads ( details at the bottom of this page )

4) The "Rotate evenly" tries to do what you want for 90 days, but the outcome is not equal impressions. Details here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

"Each ad will be eligible to show an equal number of times, but the actual impressions -- how often each is actually shown -- can differ across ads based on a number of factors. "

Anyway the impression count will be very similar between all ads with this setting.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you, that help me to understand better.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I suppose your goal is relevancy and obtaining a low CPC. For this :

1) If possible try to put 1 keyword in each of the ad groups . If you need all 3 match types you can put them under the same ad group with different bidding : exact match >> phrase match >> BMM

2) Under an ad group use 2 to 4 Ad variations and after a few hundred impressions delete the low performing Ad ( low conversions or low CTR) and replace it with another Ad. If you have 10 Ads then you need much more impressions to decide which Ad needs to be deleted.

3) In the Text ads use words from your keyword because when the search term contains those words, the Ad will have those words in Bold .

Make use of Display URL to insert 2-3 word keywords like this 

site.com/Word1_Word2

The display URL does not have to be a real URL and you don't have to type www. in front of the domain.

Good Luck !

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi David,
Great idea to test Ad Copy -

I also understand that I need to go into "Advanced Options" and set to "Rotate" this will make sure each ad copy get equal shares? is this correct? -- Yes, I recommend selecting "Rotate Evenly." If your test is going to go longer than 90 days, select: "Rotate indefinitely." https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

You can have 50 Text Ads per Ad Group. However, I recommend testing no more than 3 Ads at a time. This will give you an easy way to evaluate fluctuations and performance, and will limit the variables.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396?hl=en

Three different Ad Copys in the same Ad Groups is perfectly fine. Yes, all Ads are eligible to show will all the Keywords in the Ad Group. I suggest making sure the Ads closely relate to the Keywords in the Ad Group.

Regarding Sitelinks, no more than 6 will show at one time in the Search Results. Also, Sitelinks may not show every time, and they'll only show above the organic/natural search results, in the shaded box.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375416?hl=en