AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Run campaigns on product level or company business level?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently set up our company's adwords account (example: www.company.com) and we are also thinking of creating an AdWords account for one of our products which has a different domain name for branding purposes (example: www.product.com).

My question is: Should I set up 2 AdWords accounts (1 for the company, and 1 for the product) OR should I just set up 1 account for the product?

From what I read, it should be 1 different domain name per account. My fear is that we will face double-serving if we create 2 separate accounts since the keywords targeted on each site will be fairly similar.

Thank you for your input

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Run campaigns on product level or company business level?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Lourie C,

First off, double serving (according to your terminology) will occur in both situations if you don't target your keywords uniquely or with different match types.

Secondly, you are correct. Rule of thumb, campaigns that contain different domains usually represent different goals which require different messaging and keywords. However, even though your "company" campaign and "products" campaigns contain different destination URL's, I would set those up under 1 account within 2 separate campaigns. Mainly because of "Attribution" metrics...and because the campaigns probably relate to the same overall initiative (selling products).

Even though your company and product campaign have slightly different goals they still might be able to assist each other in conversions. And you won't be able to measure "Assisted Conversions" if these campaigns are nested in separate accounts.

That being said, under the same account, I would create 2 campaigns that are dedicated to "Branding
 (your company) and "Products" (the products you are promoting). I would set your Products campaign keywords at a more targeted level and your "Branding" keywords at a more broad level. There might be some overlap but you would want to minimize that as much as possible.

You could even set all your keywords for your "Company" campaign to broad match or +broad +match +modifier...and then set the other campaigns keywords to "phrase match" or "exact match". So if your keywords are pretty much the same for each campaign then setting different match types wouldn't allow your keywords to compete with each other... or you could even change up the GEO targeting for each.

Regardless, be very attentive to detail when you're creating your keywords so they are unique and serve a specific purpose without interfering with the other campaigns you have initiated.

These are my thoughts. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Cameron,

Thank you so so much for your explanation, it really clarifies what I was thinking. I really appreciate your insight! 

Best,

Lourie

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lourie C
June

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The structure you are offering is a violation of the "gain unfair advantage" of the Policy.

The rule is simple (unless you  are a multinational or a very big company): one business - one account.  

Promoting the same or similar product to the same targeted audience  by the same business (regardless if by using different domains) -  is a violation

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Lourie,

This is  a good question for new advertisers like me. Always remember that every 1 adwords account = 1 Company, products, services. There are many reasons why you should split its account for different domain. The very good example is the AdWords tagging code for remarketing. If you want to re-market separately, you will need 2 different codes for the two sites. So I suggest you should do this as you stated above (1 for the company, and 1 for the product)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jarric for your insight!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response