AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Retargeting and cannibalising campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have created a remarketing campaign which includes three AdGroups with the following Remarketing lists:

1. Website Visitors with a special Page Depth Intervall but didn't sign-Up

2. Website Visitors with a special Session Duration, Page Depth Intervall and Count of Session, but didn't sign-up.

3. Website Visitors which visit the free trial page but didn't sign up.

It's Remarketing for Google Search.

Then I have the original Campaigns, which have the same keywords. Isn't there a cannibalisation?

Is it correct to exclude the original campaigns exactly from these lists for the remarketing campaigns? Or just pause the original campaigns and continue with the remarketing campaigns? How do I handle it?

Thanks for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Crearious
May 2016

Re: Retargeting and cannibalising campaigns

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor
Then you can use the "bid only" settings and adding the audiences within the same adgroup/campaign

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there,

You can exclude the remarketing lists from your original Campaigns, this will ensure the Remarketing Campaign you have set up will catch users searching for your keywords and that fall into your remarketing lists. (You are essentially segmenting these audiences here and can show them different adcopy etc)

If your goal is to show the above audiences different adcopy and/or see the behavior of different audiences, then creating another campaign like you have is perfect as you can show a different message to the people in your remarketing campaign + monitor the behavior compared to your original campaign.

If, however, your goal was to bid differently on those remarketing, then creating a different campaign isn't necessary. You can apply the remarketing lists across the adgroups in your original Campaign and apply bid adjustments.

Hope that all makes sense and helps!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

As you have mentioned that its RLSA,
The advantage of RLSA is that you can use or generic keywords rather than used in normal search campaigns, you can use more engaging ads(including some offers,discounts). Even you can use tailored bids for RLSA.
In this way any user who has already visited your website will see the remarketing ads along with the competitors on those keywords which you cannot target through main campaigns.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your answer, it's very helpful. I will exclude the remarketing lists from the original campaigns.
My goal is to show different ads for returning users which match the audiences and compare to the original campaign.

The Remarketing Ad Groups are set Bid only, so that either the audience or the keywords or both can match. I think if it's set to Target and Bid it's too narrow and the list size will decrease and I can't use it for RLSA, isn't it? Or in which cases you would recommend Target and Bid?

What is about if you have the same remarketing parameter in both lists? Here I have:
1. 2<=Page Depth<=16, but without sign-ups
2. Session Duration...AND 2<=Page Depth<=16 AND Count of Session, excluded sign-ups.

My goal is to see which audience is more successful in terms of sign-ups. Is it correct that because of the AND condition it doesn't conflict the first AdGroup?
I just want to be sure...

Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. Yes I will use more generic keywords and "more engaging" ads (hopefullySmiley Wink )
But still my list size is too small and I have increase the membership duration to the maximum of 180 days, I hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As I mentioned the list size is still too small to target. If I invest in very generic keywords will the list size increase faster? Just an idea...I'm very new to that topic...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You need to have at least 1000 cookies to get the RLSA ads enabled.

Please note that Membership duration is the number of days a user's cookie stays on your remarketing list.

How it works: When you create a remarketing list, you decide how long a visitor's cookie stays on your list if that person doesn't visit your site again.

How to choose: The membership duration is 30 days by default, but we recommend choosing a duration related to the length of time that you expect your ad to be relevant for the user.

You need to check the box "include past visitors who match these rules"

For RLSA you only have the keywords to target the user, no other targeting like in Display. So, target and bid option is not available for RLSA.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Rather than generic keywords to the main campaigns, you can use a loose keywords match types(broad modifier).
This will help you to get more traffic but don't forget to add negative keywords as this match type may generate more irrelevant traffic than others.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

what about the Target and Bid and Bid only:
I have already read about it here in the community:
"If you choose target and Bid , Your ads will appear when both targeting (KeyWords + Audience) option will match.
If you choose Bid only, your ads will appear when Your Keywords + Audiences matches and Show your ads on keywords only."

I have chosen Bid only. But doesn't the keywords of the remarketing campaign compete with the original campaign because the ads are also shown only on keywords without the audience?

Thank you!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

RLSA can also be implemented to your main adgroup/adgroups with "bid only" setting for better results, where either your adgroups keywords or your remarketing list can trigger your ads.

But for best results, create a different adgroup with different(other than main adgroup/campaign) set of generic keywords + remarketing list and using "target and bid" setting for this.
The advantage of different adgroup will be that you can use tailored ads(including more discount then general adgroup) and you can set a different bid while your search adgroup will keep performing on other keywords without competing each other.

Doing so, your ads will now trigger on those keywords which you can not bid on through main adgroup keywords. You can grab those users who have visited your website and still searching for the service/product using offers.

Regards