Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Retarget non-clickers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Adwords Community,

I'm presently diving into Adwords Remarketing.

So far, I didn't find how to retarget non-clickers, ie, people who searched your keyword, but did'nt click on your ad.

Difficult to believe that this is not possible, or is it ?

Thank you for your insights.

Jonathan

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Retarget non-clickers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Jonathan,

Retargeting or remarketing actually works on the concept of cookies and that's only possible if the user has at-least visited your site once.

So as far as my understanding goes, you should aim for the visitors who actually visited your site earlier due to one reason or another and didn't convert. Then only, remarketing concept should work effectively.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Jonathan D

I think Pankaj described it well.
But I want to make a note.

I first would ask myself if people did not click my ad would they be my potential Customers?
I could think they have real reasons for not clicking, and that saves you money.

On the other hand it looks like you want some kind of Interest targeting. Maybe interest targeting can be an option for you?

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan, @Elja G has covered what I would say; if these people have searched on your Keyword and not clicked your Ad, I'd question their value as remarketing targets.

Remarketing really works best with the "almost buyers"; the ones who put items in their cart but don't complete checkout, the ones who spend 5 minutes on your site and visit 10 pages without buying, etc.  Or you can target people who bought one item but not its accessories or add-ons; in any case your best remarketing targets are those who've already interacted with your site in some extensive way.

Of course, you should also be asking yourself why, if your Ad was shown for a relevant Keyword, that it wasn't clicked. If your CTR is low this could be an indicator of poor relevance in your Ad copy...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
There are several services that offer what is called retargeting (and there is an awful lot of confusion being caused by the interchangeable use of the terms retargeting and remarketing). These companies will serve your ads to people who searched for products or services like yours and either didn't click - or maybe even didn't trigger your ad in the first instance.

However, the entry level for these services is prohibitive for most advertisers - Chango is one, but I believe their entry level spend is $20k/month

Google remarketing - as others have explained depends upon a target having visited your site previously. It can be very effective, but as Jon suggests, without good segmentation it can just be good money thrown after bad.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You can target non-clickers from Ads if they are organic clickers.

The analytics remarketing code builds lists also from organic visitors ( organic searches, direct visit, referal ).

You can also set a conversion Goal to track visitors from a Page "X" without installing aditional code to that page, except the analytics tracker.

For example you can have 2 websites, one with a strong organic traffic , like an online magazine for women and gather all those visitors in a list and another new website which will be promoted through adwords.

Then in adwords you can remarket a "buy these cosmetic products" campaign, and send them specific ads based on the pages they visited in the website which had organic visits. Or you can send them Ads about joining a job site, or about clothes for women.

You can link multiple analytics accounts to one adwords account , and import the remarketing lists from each analytics to adwords, they will appear under the Audiences Tab.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you all for your answers.

True : retargeting is based on cookies. As so, it is limited to visitors.
True : a non clicker is probably an non suspect.

Is there a type of segmentation that targets theses searchers, non clickers ?
Does Intereset targeting do this ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Don't dismiss people who didn't click on your ad.... remember there are up to 9 other ads and 10 other organic listings on the page.

it's important to maximize your CTR and your conversions - and optimizing your keywords, ad copy and landing pages will help with this. If you dismiss the non-clickers, then you run the risk of becoming a little complacent about how much more traffic you could realistically be catching.... not 100%, but an increase from 5% to 8% is massive in percentage terms (66%)