2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Results collapsed after getting unsolicited help from an adwords manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After I resumed an ad campaign for my on-line Algebra site a couple of months ago I started seeing excellent results, with people clicking through to my informational site and then continuing on to the actual tutorial site where I could see them watching a video and often registering as a new user.

One morning my phone rang and it was an adwords manager. I had seen emails inviting me to accept free help with my and I had planned to do something eventually, but there was a manager on the phone. I should have been suspicious right there.

The gentlemen walked me through a number of enhancements for about thirty minutes and said I was all set and I had his email if I needed further help.

Traffic to my actual tutorial site immediately dropped to almost nothing, and the manager has not answered several emails requesting help. I have removed the features he had me add and even created a fresh add from scratch and still no traffic.

He did have a google email address. When I use the tool to analyze my ad it says I have to raise my bid. Uh-oh. 

I have no idea what to since he will not even answer my emails, so I am asking here for ideas. Thanks!

Ken

1 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Ken,

if campaigns worked for you better in previous state, then you can go to Tools menu in your AdWords account and check Change history. See what has been done by this person and either reverse those changes or undo it manually.

Tomáš

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Google reps NEVER ask you what your advertising goal is, or take any conversion data into account. Their job is to get you to spend more, regardless of the outcome. Anytime a client send me one of these "Improve your results" emails from Google, the content either does not apply at all to the business, or is/has already been done and the results are already known. This is the corporate sales side of Google, and it's no different than any bank, insurance company, or any other entity which bases employee performance on up-selling existing customers.

Do you buy whatever the insurance agent's office tries to sell you every time? It only makes sense to have the same sort of skepticism when it comes to Google.

Like @Tomáš Kraus said - Check the change history, and see if you can revere the account back to where it was working for you. If you have any issues or questions about any specifics, or that still doesn't work - Then maybe we can help you find some answers. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Tomas. Yes, I saw that feature, but I have manually reverted the changes and there is still a problem. I am posting here more to discover if there is a known problem with these guys, and if their incentives are creating a conflict of interest. Is he just clicking on my ad himself to drive up his income? There was the aggressive call at 7am and now complete silence. I will be escalating this every way I can because this is terribly suspect and I have now lost hundreds of dollars because of this guy, let alone the trafiic to my site.

Thx again for the idea.

Ken

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

"I am posting here more to discover if there is a known problem with these guys... There was the aggressive call at 7am and now complete silence."

Not an official Google account rep. Oops. Smiley Happy

Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

What's odd is an ad manager has to continuously adjust the campaigns.  There's no such thing as "make a series of enhancements" and let it run.  Did he make the changes or you?  I'm not sure why it would kill your traffic either.  What did you actually change?