AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Removed campaign but adgroup still green

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new and created a campaign that wasted money. Removed the campaign and created a new one. New campaign has adgroup and its keywords are close to same as on original removed campaign. New ads enabled and status is approved. Check on the comment indicator with approved status and it says add is not running because a keyword is used by another ad. I have no other ads that should be active as they are all removed. Go to Home and see the original adgroup is green dot - indicates original campaign removed but the original adgroup is enabled. Check on management panel on all campaigns and there, under the removed original campaign, is the green dot on the original adgroup. Check this ad keywords list and all have green dots, too. Try to remove or pause any of these mentioned above and get message that cannot modify a removed item. I see now that I should have removed the original keywords, ads, and campaign first by working my way up. But what do I do now? The old original campaign ad is blocking my use of keywords in revised efforts. Approved ads won't run for keywords in use by another ad. Thanks for help.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Removed campaign but adgroup still green

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Allan K

If the campaign is removed, adgroups too get removed technically. You can be sure that adgroups under the removed campaign won't conflict or compete with the existing ones. 

Having said that, you may still see green dots (the enabled sign) on adgroups which reside under a removed or paused adgroup. This is because those adgroups were not paused or removed individually. That's how it is. Do not be under impression that such adgroups would compete with live ones. 

Now coming to the message that you see on status bubble. When you have more than one keyword which is closely related to each other, you may come across such messages.

Let's take a context...

Supposing you have both 'blue widget' and 'blue widgets' as the keywords and you are bidding higher on one, you may see that message on the other keyword. For instance, if you are bidding 2 on blue widget and 1 on blue widgets. The first keyword may take part in auction even when the actual search query is blue widgets. Yes, because of close variant and ad rank thing. 

This is where your second keyword will consistently loose and pop up that message for you. 

Does it help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

If the whole campaign has been removed then how can adgroups of that campaign be there.
Can you share the screenshot showing enabled adgroups from a removed campaign?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Capture.JPGThe two at the top with green dots are from the old removed campaign but all the associated keywords are green, too. This caused my paused campaign of bottom two, when enabled, to have message about keywords in use by another ad - the ads from the removed campaign. Ad group Nook actually has no ads because I deleted everything trying to solve this and finally saw these green dots on removed ad groups. Inside, on management panel, the status is Campaign removed so cannot change the ad of the adgroup to removed, or anything associated with removed campaign. Thanks for taking interest.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This image is not showing the campaign status corresponding to the adgroups.
And where this last option View saved filter came from, as i have not seen such stats in adwords dashboard.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Capture2.JPGThis is from the management dashboard and shows what you want to see. Strange, isn't it, the Ad Group still enabled. If Keywords tab was pushed you would see a list of green-dot words and next to them "campaign removed". The other image is from the Home page activity summary. I have deleted everything but one remaining ad, and its keywords won't run because of being used by another ad - the removed campaign ads.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Allan K

If the campaign is removed, adgroups too get removed technically. You can be sure that adgroups under the removed campaign won't conflict or compete with the existing ones. 

Having said that, you may still see green dots (the enabled sign) on adgroups which reside under a removed or paused adgroup. This is because those adgroups were not paused or removed individually. That's how it is. Do not be under impression that such adgroups would compete with live ones. 

Now coming to the message that you see on status bubble. When you have more than one keyword which is closely related to each other, you may come across such messages.

Let's take a context...

Supposing you have both 'blue widget' and 'blue widgets' as the keywords and you are bidding higher on one, you may see that message on the other keyword. For instance, if you are bidding 2 on blue widget and 1 on blue widgets. The first keyword may take part in auction even when the actual search query is blue widgets. Yes, because of close variant and ad rank thing. 

This is where your second keyword will consistently loose and pop up that message for you. 

Does it help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand and thank you for the help. Too bad I went nuts and removed nearly everything to track this down, and it turned out irrelevant. This is a lesson, too.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Archit when a Campaign is "removed" from AdWords, it's not physically removed from the system and all it's related Groups, Ads, etc. remain in place.  As has been discussed here, if you simply remove a Campaign without acting upon the elements in that Campaign, those elements will retain their status, so an enabled Ad Group will stay enabled, even though the Campaign that owns it is paused or removed.

This is how we'd want things to work, since for paused Campaigns it gives us the ability to change that top-level status without having to worry about anything else, for example, we could pause a Campaign for a month or two, then simply re-enable it, knowing that all the Ad Groups, Ads and so on will being working again just as they were.  For removed Campaigns it enables us to continue to review data from that Campaign, and easily see which Ad Groups were running at the time of the removal.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
@Jon, I already know this and the 2nd image shared by Allan cleared my doubts. But before I could proceed with a solution, Ratan already explained the best solution. So, I didn't write anything.

Anyway thanks for this explanation.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As follow up, my keywords are not similar as you explain, but are identical on the still-active deleted campaign ad-groups and my current effort. So, to make the current ad work the keyword has to be paused or deleted in the current ad. This was not a desired option. Since this entire effort has no solution but to create another account to start fresh, I elected to simply pause the current campaign and move on to other vendors to do advertising that will meet my needs.