AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing list smaller than expected

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a remarketing audience in my google analytics account. I added all users visiting my website to the list.

On Google Analytics , I see more than 30,000 visitors a day. But, when I see the size of the remarketing list in the shared library of the google adwords, I find only 2000 users after 1 day. After 2 days the list has grown only to 4000. This looks weird.

Re: Remarketing list smaller than expected

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Imagna,

The difference does seem a bit extreme, but the first thing that comes to mind is how many of those visitors are returning/unique visitors? If you are only getting 2000 unique visitors a day then that is all your list will record.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am getting around 30,000 unique visitors a day.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Imagna,

That may be accurate as a daily stat, but as a monthly stat? Once an individual has been tagged on the list they will no longer be added, even if they are a unique visitor the next day. In theory you could have 30 000 unique visitors a day but they could be the same 30 000 visitors every day. Extreme case I know, but just to get an understanding of how it works.

There may be other extraneous factors as well. Have you added any limits to your remarketing lists? such as must have visited 2 pages or been on the site for more than 30 seconds? Perhaps a large portion of your audience is deleting their cookies are not allowing cookie tracking or is from mobile, as both first and third party cookie tracking is needed

have you checked the estimate list size and seen what that says?

Hope this helps

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Imagna A,

Not all visitors of the website will be added to the list. If their browser rejects certain cookies or deletes cookies at the exit of the browser, they will show up as "sessions" in analytics but will no longer show up in your remarketing list.

Mostly mobile visitors delete their mobile browser cookies so please take a look at your traffic source to see how many from those 30.000 are from mobile sources.

Does your site fall in the "sensitive categories" listed below ?

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465#sensitive

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian.
The site does not fall in the sensitive categories list.
Also, I see your point about the browser clearing the cookies. I am not sure if that would contribute to such a large reduction in remarketing list size.
The percentage of users from mobile and tablet are less than 10%.
I placed the GA code on my website only 4 days back. I see more than 50k unique users on the dashboard till now.
I created my new audience using :
Remarketing ----> New Audience ----> Linked my adword account ---> Define Audience ---> Recomended audience ---> All users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Clynton.
Yes I did check the estimate list size and it shows 3500 using a look back period of 7 days.
I have not added any limits to the remarketing list.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Importing data from Google Analytics in AdWords usually takes more up to 72 hours according to this page, but it does not mention delays about Remarketing lists, however it does mention other metrics from analytics such as importing Goals :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Try adding to your website the AdWords remarketing code, it can also be used for Search Remarketing :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064?hl=en&ref_topic=3122877

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
This maybe a elementary question, but have you made sure the remarketing tag is on all pages of the website? If not that may explain a large discrepancy between AdWords and GA.