Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing list size problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have just added 2 new remarketing lists (which targets ppl. visit specific pages on the site) and it seems that they are not increasing. ( shows " -- " for 5 days) Nearly 100 ppl. is visiting the pages everyday.

We have installed the the tag assistant and everything seems OK. Besides the main remarketing list (which target everybody visiting our site) is working.

Can you help about the issue??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gizem K
September 2015

Re: Remarketing list size problem

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When I checked some rules like "contains" I also could find some common errors like : 

a) the user typed a dot . in the URL while to URL had no dot sign

b) the user typed two minus signs or two underscores , where there was supposed to be only 1 like this -- or _ _

You can also check for these .

Also keep in mind that an audience needs to have at least 100 visitors to start displaying Ads in a Display Network campaign , although in the Audiences tab you will see numbers even for audiences smaller than 100. Another tip, you can change the default duration of the audience from 30 to more days, by this allowing the audience to grow bigger. 

Another reason for getting a smaller audience : some visitors can delete their browser cookies and this removes them from the audience. The cookie is a file stored in their browser to remember that they visited your site.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

There can be 3 situations :

1) Data takes more than a week to be updated for audiences ( it happened to me )

2) There were no visitors on the pages for which you have setup the rules . 

3) There could be an error in the Tag Rule, like targeting an URL that does not exist on your site or one that changes dynamically.

How did you setup the rule , because there are several conditions ? For example if you have chosen "equals" and the URL is changed dynamically, it will not generate an audience.

audience-rule-setup.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the answer,

I have choosen "contains". the URLs are not changing.

I will wait couple of days and then see how it works. Maybe it is just about timing.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gizem K
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When I checked some rules like "contains" I also could find some common errors like : 

a) the user typed a dot . in the URL while to URL had no dot sign

b) the user typed two minus signs or two underscores , where there was supposed to be only 1 like this -- or _ _

You can also check for these .

Also keep in mind that an audience needs to have at least 100 visitors to start displaying Ads in a Display Network campaign , although in the Audiences tab you will see numbers even for audiences smaller than 100. Another tip, you can change the default duration of the audience from 30 to more days, by this allowing the audience to grow bigger. 

Another reason for getting a smaller audience : some visitors can delete their browser cookies and this removes them from the audience. The cookie is a file stored in their browser to remember that they visited your site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Adrian B,

Even i am also facing same problem.

All the condition have been rechecked at my end which you described above.i.e- 1) Data takes more than a week to be updated for audiences ( it happened to me )
2) There were no visitors on the pages for which you have setup the rules .
3) There could be an error in the Tag Rule, like targeting an URL that does not exist on your site or one that changes dynamically.

Any other issue which can occur apart from these if we have created list around 10 days back with 90 days duration value without any typos? Smiley Sad

keen to start remarketing !

Thanks
Arti

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, no new ways of diagnosis that I can suggest. It is best to contact google through phone or by chat using this page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

They can diagnose what is wrong by looking in your account.

All I can say is that remarketing works great , the conversion rates can be better than normal targeting campaigns and it is a feature you should definetly not give up on using.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Even Google support is also not helping on this. Can anyone give more suggestion. I have taken duration of 365 days now. still list size is very small around 20 Smiley Sad