Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing list membership expiration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

from AdWords help:

"The visitor's cookie is deleted from the list at the end of the duration if there's no new activity. If the person visits your site again, the clock is reset for another 30 days or for the duration you've set."

Does that mean that the user has to do the same rule again when he lands on my site to stay in the list?

i.e, I put all the visitors to the section shoes in on list, if a user comes back to the site during the membership window, but doesn't visit the shoe sections, will he stay on the list?

Currently I have a list for all buyers on my site, a visitor has to come to the thank you page (/thankyou.htm) to be enlisted in the list, does that mean that he has to visit the page again in the membership window to stay in the list? or any page will do?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Muhammad A
September 2015

Re: Remarketing list membership expiration

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Yes the new cookie is set for a revisit which matches the rules of the audience and it has again the duration set by the audience. when I counted 15+30 I was reffering to the fact that the user was on the audience for 15 initial days , he revisited the page thus getting a new 30 days cookie, so you could have remarketed to him/her for 15 initial days + next 30 days a total of 45 theoretical days.

2) The visitor must meet all the conditions of the audience, the conditions can be set on a page, on a combination of pages or more complex if the audience is made with Google analytics, even time on page.

Please ask any follow up questions.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, Welcome to the Community 

"i.e, I put all the visitors to the section shoes in on list, if a user comes back to the site during the membership window, but doesn't visit the shoe sections, will he stay on the list?"

Yes, once they are added to the list they stay on the list until :

a) the list expires 

b) they delete the cookie themselves bu clearing the browser cookies or with a browser plug-in which does this automatically.

The help page explains the following :

- " if there's no new activity." : a new activity would mean that visitor A will revisit page "x" during the time of his initial membership thus reseting the membership duration.

If he visited page "x" today and the list has a duration of 30 days and he revisits page "x" after 15 days, he will be re-added on the list with a new duration of 30 days, thus staying on the same list 15+30 days.

If you click on an audience name in the Shared Library you can see a graph with how your member numbers have increased ( or decreased) and their demographics ( age, gender).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your detailed answer.

"If the person visits your site again, the clock is reset for another 30 days or for the duration you've set"

According to this, the member should have 30 days of expiry agian, not the remaining time +30

Regarding the user activity, in the help page I referred to eariler, it defined the activity as returning to the site (visiting a random page from the site), is that what is really meant? or the user should meet the rule defined in the list agian as you mentioned?

I can't thank you enough for pointing the graph thing, it was very useful.

Thanks again.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Muhammad A
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Yes the new cookie is set for a revisit which matches the rules of the audience and it has again the duration set by the audience. when I counted 15+30 I was reffering to the fact that the user was on the audience for 15 initial days , he revisited the page thus getting a new 30 days cookie, so you could have remarketed to him/her for 15 initial days + next 30 days a total of 45 theoretical days.

2) The visitor must meet all the conditions of the audience, the conditions can be set on a page, on a combination of pages or more complex if the audience is made with Google analytics, even time on page.

Please ask any follow up questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for you answer, I have another question, but I'll post it in another post to give it a title that do it justice.

you can check it from here https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/How-to-make-a-remarketing-list-for-all-reg...