AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing for Search Ads

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I want to implement Remarketing List for Search Ads. I have created a remarketing list for search ads in which I have collected 1000 cookies.

My confusion is, I have created a new “search network” ad campaign for remarketing list, and created a new adgroup too. However, should I target keywords for the adgroup? If I target keywords, then which keywords should I target? Or is it that I don’t need to target any keywords?

Nonetheless, if I don’t target any keyword to the agroup, then the campaign stands in complete.

So what should I do? Please help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rio A
September 2015

Re: Remarketing for Search Ads

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again, Rio.

It depends on what you want to achieve.

You can target your audience with the same keywords again and same adwords text by adding your audience to the same ad group where you do regular search. If you add the audience and only bid on it (higher than your regular bid, through a bid modifier), then the following thing happens: both new searchers and members of your remarketing audience might see your ad, but someone on your remarketing list will have a higher chance of seeing it (or seeing it in a higher position) because your bid is higher. This is a simple approach, re-using an existing search campaign.

You can create another campaign, exclusively for remarketing, which will be an exact clone of your existing one and use the same keywords. Then you should target your remarketing audience in the new campaign and exclude it from the old campaign (so you have a clear separation). I would only do this if I want to use a different set of ads for remarketing (changing the message for people who already know you) and maybe a different budget. In this new campaign you might also add completely new keywords, more general than your initial set, which might appeal more to someone who is aware of your business and less to a "complete newbie".

There a whole lot of information about this campaign type and some strategies over here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en and here http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/products/remarketing-lists-for-search-ads.html

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Rio A.

You need keywords in any search campaigns, otherwise your ads cannot be triggered. Here's how remarketing for search works: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

And here's a snippet from that document, stating exactly how you can use them

There are two basic strategies for using remarketing lists with search ads:

• You can bid on keywords that you don't normally bid on just for people who have recently visited your site, or have converted on your site in the past. This can help you increase your sales. For example, you could bid on more generic keywords only for people who have previously purchased from your site.
  • You can optimize bids for your existing keywords for visitors on your remarketing lists. For example, you can increase your bid by 25% for those who previously viewed your website in the last 30 days. Or, you could show a different ad to site visitors who have placed items in a shopping cart but have not purchased them.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thanks for your response.

With regards to my query and your subsequent reply, I would like to state that I have previously gone through that link. However, the confusion that still persists is: Should I use the keywords that I had already targeted in my earlier in my new campaigns? Or Should I use a new set of keywords?

If you say “yes” to my first query, then can I copy the existing campaign to create a new one and add the remarketing list to the entire adgroups? Of-course I will target new ads for every groups.

But I still have confusion that, if we make another campaign using the same keywords, won’t there be any conflict in ads?

Please Help....

Thanks and Regards,
Rio A
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rio A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again, Rio.

It depends on what you want to achieve.

You can target your audience with the same keywords again and same adwords text by adding your audience to the same ad group where you do regular search. If you add the audience and only bid on it (higher than your regular bid, through a bid modifier), then the following thing happens: both new searchers and members of your remarketing audience might see your ad, but someone on your remarketing list will have a higher chance of seeing it (or seeing it in a higher position) because your bid is higher. This is a simple approach, re-using an existing search campaign.

You can create another campaign, exclusively for remarketing, which will be an exact clone of your existing one and use the same keywords. Then you should target your remarketing audience in the new campaign and exclude it from the old campaign (so you have a clear separation). I would only do this if I want to use a different set of ads for remarketing (changing the message for people who already know you) and maybe a different budget. In this new campaign you might also add completely new keywords, more general than your initial set, which might appeal more to someone who is aware of your business and less to a "complete newbie".

There a whole lot of information about this campaign type and some strategies over here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en and here http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/products/remarketing-lists-for-search-ads.html

Hope it helps.