AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing and Display Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Do I have to run a dispaly campain first in order to collect audience and cokies for remarketing campaign? or I can start directly starting the remarketing campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing and Display Campaign

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bubble,

Please visit the link below. This will describe you the concept in detail.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000

I hope this helps.
Kapil M

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Remarketing targets an audience of people that have already visited your website. So the first thing you need to do is build that audience - this is done by adding the remarketing tags to your website.

Then you wait for the audience to build - the audience will include visitors from any source - not just AdWords so in truth you do not need to advertize before you start a remarketing campaign - but most people do since this is a good way to drive the "first visits" to build the audience.

I have one client who gets a lot or organic traffic, for example, and we run almost exclusively remarketing ads - we have a very few core keywords triggering regular search campaigns - but this is unusual.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bubble
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Any and all visitors to a page with your remarketing tags will be added to your remarketing list - so yes...

However, you might want to consider this.... if you run a site where you get a lot of repeat visitors (members, return shoppers, etc.) you may want to find a way to exclude them from seeing your remarketing ads..

I have a client that has a membership site, for example. There's no point in advertising to existing members, so we have the tags on all pages and we build a secondary audience of people who visited any of the members only pages (this is done by identifying the urls).

Then we can build a combination list - all visitors on the main list - and none of the visitors on the members list - use this combination list as the target and you will be advertising only to people who visited your site but didn't become a member. Do the same to exclude people who already signed up for your newsletter, or who completed a purchase, etc...

Also bear in mind that your list can only build on the back of visitors - if your other traffic sources are sending very few visitors then your list will build very slowly. This is why many people push traffic through ad campaigns - but in terms of "do you have to"- the answer is no.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bubble,

Please visit the link below. This will describe you the concept in detail.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000

I hope this helps.
Kapil M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Remarketing targets an audience of people that have already visited your website. So the first thing you need to do is build that audience - this is done by adding the remarketing tags to your website.

Then you wait for the audience to build - the audience will include visitors from any source - not just AdWords so in truth you do not need to advertize before you start a remarketing campaign - but most people do since this is a good way to drive the "first visits" to build the audience.

I have one client who gets a lot or organic traffic, for example, and we run almost exclusively remarketing ads - we have a very few core keywords triggering regular search campaigns - but this is unusual.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In addition to Stickleback's great answer! I would also suggest you to go through this link.

How soon remarketing lists can start working

This is one of the imporant part specially when you are getting started with Remarketing.

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@stickleback: So does that's mean that all I have to do it first put the remarketing tag on my landing page. And there is no need to run any display campaign or any campaign to collect the audience. whoever visits my website by any mean will be added in my list, Right?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bubble
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Any and all visitors to a page with your remarketing tags will be added to your remarketing list - so yes...

However, you might want to consider this.... if you run a site where you get a lot of repeat visitors (members, return shoppers, etc.) you may want to find a way to exclude them from seeing your remarketing ads..

I have a client that has a membership site, for example. There's no point in advertising to existing members, so we have the tags on all pages and we build a secondary audience of people who visited any of the members only pages (this is done by identifying the urls).

Then we can build a combination list - all visitors on the main list - and none of the visitors on the members list - use this combination list as the target and you will be advertising only to people who visited your site but didn't become a member. Do the same to exclude people who already signed up for your newsletter, or who completed a purchase, etc...

Also bear in mind that your list can only build on the back of visitors - if your other traffic sources are sending very few visitors then your list will build very slowly. This is why many people push traffic through ad campaigns - but in terms of "do you have to"- the answer is no.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@stickleback: Thanks I get the Idea..