Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing and Demographic Gender targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I started a remarketing campaign and I excluded men in the settings of the campaign.

Can the system really know who's a girl in my remarketing list?

So far, ads are showing, but I don't know to whom...

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by AmyB (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing and Demographic Gender targeting

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi FF84,

I would suggest you take a look at this Help Article.  There are no guarantees with demographic exclusions.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=142243

Also, I'm not sure if you're looking into it or not but demographic bidding has been/ is being phased out.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454028

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
From what I understand, the major site that gave Google demographic data was myspace (which kind of died). My guess is that is why as @PPCBossman notes, they are phasing it out. Demographic targeting in Adwords will allow you to focus on sites that are match your demographic fit better (Google doesn't have much demographic data, unlike Adcenter).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting, thank for your replies.

So, I understand that demographic targetting is getting phased out, actually it's only demographic excluding that's available at the moment.

And even if I check it, I can't know for sure if it's working.

How come Bing has more data on this than Google?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Bing & Yahoo require users to enter demographic information into their profile when they sign up. Therefore, Bing / Yahoo have demographic data on all logged in users. Google doesn't require that information.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @david-globalsem,

I also agree that the gender data is not enough on Google's end just as you said. So gender targeting could be ineffective or not accurate.

But still I will wonder why the Analytics never mentioned the unspecific gender visitors in the report?

Capture.PNG

Is there any conflict between two products of Google as I assure right, or it's totally different things that work separately?

Thanks so much!

Jason

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!