AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Rule-based on url virtual pageview?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to set up a new audience, rule based, including all url's that are actually virtual url's (used to track clicking a button). 

However, the list is not populating (after being open for more than a month). 

Is it possible rules for lists are not accepted when based on parameters in a url / virtual pageviews? 

Many thanks in advance ! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing Rule-based on url virtual pageview?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Isje. I believe you'll have to assign a conversion goal to that virtual pageview for it to work. I don't know for sure why (though I do have an idea involving cookies and urls), but I have read, including on a thread where theniks answered, that conversion goals should be used.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AdWiser,

i read about that approach as well, but when creating a new remarketing list, it only seems to be possible to define your audience by url. I'm not sure how adding a conversion goal would facilitate setting up the audience.
(I seem to recall the conversion goal was used for pages that didn't have a true 'conversion action' present).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi isje,

I'm pretty sure that virtual pages views need to deliver the image part of the AdWords re-marketing code. This is all done with a 3rd party cookie. That cookie normally gets set when the code runs. Even if you use the GA re-marketing, you must install a piece of code on each page to create the list(s).

You can have the Javascript that records the virtual pageview also load the image (with all the tags). That should work.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords