AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing List - How To Meet The 'does not' Condition

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of confuse about the AND condition in remarketing list under "Shared library > Audiences > New remarketing list" . Here's what i want to do:

I want to see remarketed visitors for SiteA.com and its sub pages but it should not report any remarketed visitors who landed in my page with URL like ?=analysis

My condition is :

Matches any of these conditions:

URL > contains > SiteA.com
    URL > does not contain > ?=analysis

Will the above meet what i want? The guide here is perplexing https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064?hl=en sorry.

I am not sure if I need to use the AND condition like the following:

URL > contains > SiteA.com

AND

URL > contains > SiteA.com

Please, someone, enlighten me on this. What's the AND condition for. Could someone give me example or case other than the example in the link above, please?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RJ Cortez
September 2015

Re: Remarketing List - How To Meet The 'does not' Condition

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I think that the system first uses each of the conditions set by you to narrow down all the URLs to a smaller set.

After this, if you have the AND rule the sets are intersected , the sequence is not important, what is important is the common set of URLs resulting from the intersection.

Let's say that your website has 5 links for example and you set the condition that I have showed in the print-screen :

Link 1 = SiteA.com?=analysis&1

Link 2 = SiteA.com?=tools&2

Link 3 = SiteB.com?=tools&3

Link 4 = SiteC.com?=analysis&4&SiteA.com

Link 5 = SiteD.com?=tools&5&SiteA.com

The first condition to contain string SiteA.com is executed, this is the resulting set :

The first set of links is : link 1 , link 2 , link 4, link 5

The second condition is executed for "URL does not contain ?=analysis" , this is the resulting set :

The second set of links is : link 2 , link 3 , link 5

In the next step the intersection AND operation takes place to find common elements from the 2 sets. It is like asking "Which are the links which can be found in both sets ? " . This is the result :

Or with a graphic it is like 2 circles intersecting and the common surface represents the common elements of the two sets of URLs, a Venn Diagram , like here : link 

-----------------

Now about the example , it tries to explain that only the condition "contains" used once is sometimes not enough to narrow a big set to a valid sub-set of URLs because in the example he also needs to exclude a sub-set by using the rule AND "does not contain dest=JFK.

Does this help ?

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello RJ Cortez, Welcome to the Community 

The AND condition is for creating intersections of sets of URLs. Your second example uses AND with two identical sets so the result is the same set.

This is rule that should help you in my opinion

condition-and-remarketing.png

You say the guide is perplexing, can you point to the exact paragraph that has the error ? It is a very long guide to read with many expanding paragraphs.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your response.

Yes. About your suggested setting, here's what I'm thinking - if the condition in [Set 1] is satisfied, It will report the remarketed visitors. Therefore any URLs having "SiteA.com" will be scanned true - this will include "SiteA.com/services", "SiteA.com/about", "SiteA.com/about/?=analysis" and any URLs within my website having "SiteA.com", right? Take note that URLs with "?=analysis" will be scanned true for this set of condition (which i don't want to be scanned).

And adding my [Set 2] condition using AND - for my second set, It will not report the remarketed visitors by setting 'does not contain' > "?=analysis" where it will scanned "SiteA.com/services", "SiteA.com/about", "SiteA.com/about/" but not any URLs with "?=analysis" appended. It's conflicting...

I am not sure how their AND condition will work. Will it satisfy [Set 1] first as true? Before it satisfy Set 2 as true? Or would it be more practical and safe to apply the condition in only one set? Let me know your thought.

The example given on their site is not enough (see screenshot link here -> https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iSvNt_nrzs0/Ujpx7tadJSI/AAAAAAAABdc/fXafA1iz6Ts/w909-h553-no/Rema...). Not really perplexing but not enough.

Thanks again.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RJ Cortez
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I think that the system first uses each of the conditions set by you to narrow down all the URLs to a smaller set.

After this, if you have the AND rule the sets are intersected , the sequence is not important, what is important is the common set of URLs resulting from the intersection.

Let's say that your website has 5 links for example and you set the condition that I have showed in the print-screen :

The first condition to contain string SiteA.com is executed, this is the resulting set :

The first set of links is : link 1 , link 2 , link 4, link 5

The second condition is executed for "URL does not contain ?=analysis" , this is the resulting set :

The second set of links is : link 2 , link 3 , link 5

In the next step the intersection AND operation takes place to find common elements from the 2 sets. It is like asking "Which are the links which can be found in both sets ? " . This is the result :

Or with a graphic it is like 2 circles intersecting and the common surface represents the common elements of the two sets of URLs, a Venn Diagram , like here : link 

-----------------

Now about the example , it tries to explain that only the condition "contains" used once is sometimes not enough to narrow a big set to a valid sub-set of URLs because in the example he also needs to exclude a sub-set by using the rule AND "does not contain dest=JFK.

Does this help ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Okay. Thanks!

Looks clear to me now Smiley Happy