5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing: Display vs Search audience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am new to remarketing and I have been asked what the difference is between the numbers for my audience. The difference is about 1,000 cookies issued. One states that the audience is for search and the other display.

I am familiar with the difference between the two campaign types and can explain that, however, I do not know why the numbers would be different on the tags themselves. Any help?
2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kari M
September 2015

Re: Remarketing: Display vs Search audience

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kari,

I can't technically explain the details but I did find this snippet from here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?ctx=tltp

"Different list sizes for different networks

"In the Shared library, you'll see two remarketing list sizes: one for Google Search and one for the Display Network. These sizes can be significantly different because there are two different types of cookies used to create these lists. In addition, some remarketing lists are available for both Google Search and the Display Network, while others are available for the Display Network only."

From what I've experienced, the Display lists are generally larger, although I don't have documentation I believe that this is also due in part to some level of security/privacy extended to users on the search network.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Kari,

Tommy has given you some great advice here. I would just like to add that the reason you are seeing such a huge difference in the number of users between the Search & Display remarketing audience is simply because of the traffic that you have recorded via your Search & Display Campaigns.

In theory, the remarketing audience list is actually a subset of the users who have visited your page or a specific set of users who qualify to be classified under the remarketing list. If you are running Search & Display campaigns both in your account, then you will see both the list being populated

This is mainly because the cookie for Search & Display campaign visitors are different. Since the cookies are different, it identifies & classifies each visitor into the specific network based list.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kari,

As ppcbossman says, Technically we can't explain the detail why different is list sizes. According to me campaign type will not impact on remarketing audience list. Remarketing works if any users comes to your website wheather they come through google adwords campaign or organically or from facebook campaign or from affiliate partners etc. If users comes to your website from any sources you can retarget these audience through remarketing.

Hope it helps you.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Kari M,

With the risk of repeating the points explained above : the "Search" column list size will always be smaller because it does not add users who visited your site while in the same browser they were logged in their google account. This is because remarketing lists [for Search] cannot be built with personally identifiable information.

There will also be differences between a list made with the adwords tag, under the "Display" column and a list made with the google analytics code also under the "Display" column , because the google analytics code uses a 3rd party cookie from doubleclick.net and many browsers have blocked by default setting 3rd party cookies.

So as a general rule and adwords tag is better for having a large list under the "Display" column , in the audience tab, but analytics on the other hand can be used to have a more customized list with segmented visitors .

Yes remarketing lists can add visitors of your site regardless of their source, paid /organic/direct/referral