2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Campaign setup

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I set up a remarketing campaign for one site. I have 2 lists, in separate ad groups, one for AdWords source (260 users) and one for Google organic search (500 users).

For networks I have selected "Managed placements, audiences, and topics". No keywords. Only one image ad per group.(Added a text ad today.)

I'm getting no impressions. What did I miss?

Thanks!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author petebardo
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Campaign setup

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Pete - in your campaign settings for display newtork are you set to 

You don't need the keywords.

Do you have just one image ad size or all the allowed image ad sizes?  If just one that will not work well, add all image sizes, them all.

In your DISPLAY NETWORK tab can you confirm that you see the remarketing list(s) added under the INTERESTS & REMARKETING section?

How long ago did you set things live? it can take a day or two to kick into gear.

Is the ad(s) approved? (sorry have to ask) image ads can take a few days Smiley Wink

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Pete;

I think you didn't miss anything....You just ended up with an "empty group" ( Boolean algebra speaking ) with the conditions you set..

I had the same issue, and when investigated, I found this table:

The two restrictions you set, MUST both be met, to have the ad appear (Boolean AND condition). These two conditions are rarely met, so you don't get impressions..

• The ad appears only on pages on the Display Network where the audience is matched (based on remarketing lists). Whenever the ad is matched based on audiences AND is displayed on a page associated with the targeted topic, the topic bid is used.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author petebardo
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Pete - in your campaign settings for display newtork are you set to 

You don't need the keywords.

Do you have just one image ad size or all the allowed image ad sizes?  If just one that will not work well, add all image sizes, them all.

In your DISPLAY NETWORK tab can you confirm that you see the remarketing list(s) added under the INTERESTS & REMARKETING section?

How long ago did you set things live? it can take a day or two to kick into gear.

Is the ad(s) approved? (sorry have to ask) image ads can take a few days Smiley Wink

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

Although I'd love to give my 2 cents here I think the questions/ideas presented by Kim and Moshe are important to look at first.

And a big one for me will be do you have the new DISPLAY NETWORK tab?  If you do, I'm useless as I don't have it yet. I guess I'm not quite as cool as Kim or the other thousands of people who have it already  Smiley Happy  haha.

I sat for days once wondering what my problem was with a remarketing campaign (also getting zero impressions) and came to find out I was bidding .05 across the board.  Live and Learn. I'm sure this is something simple and you'll get it worked out soon enough.

Keep us posted so we can continue to try and help!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Thanks Moshe for bringing this back up. Smiley Happy

Edit: Adrank. Adrank.

Did the text ads rank higher than the image ads for the given adrank of the adgroup? What ad type ended up getting the impressions captain? 

Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well, I'll keep quiet, though I've seen this thread minutes after Pete posted. And I do not have the Display tab yet either.

I'm also keeping a close watch on the Display Network lately.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well for those that do not have the display network tab yet then go to the audiences tab to make sure you have attached your audience list to the campaign Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Kim,

Well, you nailed it with the one size image ad. I added a text ad yesterday and today I have impressions.

It appears all is well with remarketing campaign. I have two lists now, one for AdWords entry, one for Google organic. I think I'll add one for everyone else.

Then I'll work on various sizes of image ads. I did image ads because the are out-performing text ads on the DN by 5 to 1 or more.

Thanks for all your help!

Pete

Slightly different question on campaign setup.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Slightly different question on campaign setup.

I have 2 list now for one site, one for AdWords entry and one for Google organic. I just now realized users could end up on both lists. I'm not really targeting the groups differently, I just want to be able to review the stats individually.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to exclude one list from the other.

Please help!

Pete

Re: Slightly different question on campaign setup.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

I think you could have trouble with this.

List A - Organic

List B - Adwords

Here are your options from what I can tell:

Direct list targeting:

On List A - Targeting all members of List A

On List B - Targeting all members of List B

Custom Lists:

On one list but not the other

On both lists

So I think the closest you may get is to target 3 lists:

1. The users on only List A  (Custom Combination: On List A not on List B)

2. The users on only List B  (Custom Combination: On List B not on List A)

3. The users on both lists (Custom Combination : On Both List A and on List B)

There should be no overlap between lists in this scenario.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’