AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Campaign Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys,

I would like to share some issues that i'm going threw regarding my remarketing campaign. I've searched a lot for answers but i' kinda confused. I hope this thread will be helpful for another visitors as well so let's get started.

I 've set up a remarketing campaign for about 3 weeks. My main purpose was to:

• target people who visited a section of my website and then added something to the cart, but did not completed.

OK.....i've read the support center section, watched a couple of videos and then starting up.

How i did it? - here comes my issues

1st method - Starting up with rule based list in which i've defined the rules as fallowing:

• The targeted category of the website AND
  • Checkout page
  • Does not contain "Thank you page"

Right after defining this rules, I've created a custom combination including the previous list and excluding the Conversion audience list just to make sure. The ad triggers the combination.

Issues: This method works fine for 2 sections of my website and it gets impressions but i still have problems with some categories in which list size is >120 but no ad impressions. Waited for 3 weeks.

Supposing that this method worked fine for those sections, i did the same with another two of them. Using the exact same conditions, the problem is the lists are still empty for every subcategory. I've checked the tag manager and the code is alright in every page( did some visit rule list to get sure too), i looked in analytics and the traffic is consistent, checked for abandoned cart too and still the lists shows nothing.!

2nd Method - Setting up a rule based for:

• My targeted section visits
  • Checkout visits

Then i've combined those 2 audiences and excluded the Converted audience. Some categories that didn't worked in the first method started to gain list audience.

Another strange thing is the list size of my Conversion audience list. The link is correct for the Thank you page but it shows me the same list number for 3 weeks and i'm sure that there were conversions during this period but the list wasn't expanded.

My questions are:

Which method for defining my purpose is correct?

Why no impressions on ads that triggers custom combinations > 120? 

Some of the lists are not getting expanding or decreasing and the analytics says different?

I'm confused. I would appreciate your help guys! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing Campaign Issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adi,  welcome to the Community, I hope I can help.

The "recommended" method for this sort of remarketing is to create two lists, one with everyone who has visited the page and the checkout, and another for everyone who has completed a checkout, then use a custom combination of these two lists to produce your remarketing target.  I'm not sure if this describes your first or second method!

Are you using any other targeting, or is it simply the list(s)?

Have you set any limit on impressions?

I know you've mentioned the tags, but are you 100% sure the remarketing code is on every page?

How long have the "no impression" lists been running?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using only the remarketing list for targeting.

The code is 100% on every page, i've checked it in the code source and with tag manager.

I've set a 6 frequency capping at the campaign level for each ad group.

It's been a while, like 3 weeks.

That helped Cobnut about the recommended method. Maybe i should do that for every audience. The problem is i haven't found detailed information about how to set up lists that matched my requirements so i've tested both.

I'll do that and come again with updated information. Thanks!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What happens if he uses the remarketing tracking from the Analytics interface, will he reach a larger audience of "almost buyers", because the lists from analytics include organic+direct+refferal users too ?

http://www.google.com/analytics/features/remarketing.html

Are the cookies related to the browser or to the system ? I am using 5 browsers for example , but there are the flash-cookies that are system-wide, those could be used no matter what browser completes a conversion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remarketing from Google Analytics is relatively new and allows you to reach  more segmented audiences. Ex: People who visited 5 pages+, or stayed on a page 4+minutes especially related data from analytics which is not available in Adwords.(using filters)

To  use this feature by the way you have to modify the remarketing tag.

The audience is exactly the same because remarketing ads will fallow you no matter source you come from.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872?hl=en

The cookie is added to the browser. Be aware that some people might clear those or might use blocking ads plugins. As i've read on an article the percentage of those who use the plugins is about 10% average.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes thank you explaining, but how can the audience be the same when the adwords tracker builds audiences only from people who clicked on ads while analytics builds larger audiences also from people who arrived on the website also from other sources : organic/direct/refferal ?

Wouldn't it be better for you to use the analytics remarketing code to have a larger audience and import it to adwords ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian B wrote:

Yes thank you explaining, but how can the audience be the same when the adwords tracker builds audiences only from people who clicked on ads while analytics builds larger audiences also from people who arrived on the website also from other sources : organic/direct/refferal ?

It does not. It registers conversions only when an ad click is on the conversion path, but builds audiences even before you run your first campaign if you want it to.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, to make it clear. If you build your remarketing audience from Adwords(it's alright for my goals for the moment) those ads will fallow the user no matter source he came from to your website? 

Is it correct?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Somewhat. Regardless of the source, if the remarketing code is executed on that page, that cookie is added to the remarketing list.

Whether or not you'll win auctions and show your ads to your site visitors via the remarketing campaign is a different story.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thank you for teaching me this. For some reason the "general visitor" remarketing list from adwords always showed me less cookies than I had clicks since I activated the tracking . I assumed it only records adwords visitors and by comparing numbers the remarketing list is behind the visit count with 10-20%.