1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Campaign Best Practices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm planning to run a Remarketing campaign (from our organization's donation page) through the Google Display Network. I'm also planning to run text ads on a separate Google Adwords account (our Google Grants account) to promote the same thing - our organization's donation page. 

Does the Remarketing campaign require keywords to bid on?Or does it run just based on the tag we put in our code from the webpage we want to remarket?

And to clarify, it will remarket to anyone who visits that webpage that has that tag? Or does it require an "audience" or customer match list?

Still learning best practices for display campaigns and I've never ran remarketing ads before, so any information helps!

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Leah

You can understand basic rules of remarketing here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Answering your questions - remarketing doens't require keywords BUT you can add it too to gain more control where your ads will be displayed. You can target your ads using only your list without more target methods.

Yes, you will remarket all users who visited a webpage with tag.

And tip from me - set a capping, many marketers forget about this and then I see this same ad 10 times and it annoys me.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Leah K,

Remarketing campaign does not require keywords. I find it better when I do use keywords as the ads will show on relevant sites, not every site.

It depends on how you set up your remarketing list whether it remarkets  to all visitors or only visitors from AdWords. You don't need a customer match list, and the "audience" is built from visitors to your page.

Consider frequency capping, also. Too many impressions to the same person can annoy your potential donor.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leah K
February 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Don't add keywords for remarketing.  Use a tag from Google Analytics which will allow you to place the tag across the entire site and you can then just type the page a user visits that you want to target, then you can exclude people who've already donated.

Best practices for remarketing:

-set a frequency cap 4 viewable impressions per ad per day

-add multiple ads

-be sure to negate customers that have already donated, unless you want to have them donate again.  I would create a separate audience for this.

-exclude site categories that do not pertain to your business (e.g. sexually suggestive, in-game, mobile apps, etc.)

-lastly, be sure your privacy policy states you track users who visit your site

e.g. "We use Google Analytics remarketing codes to log when users view specific pages or take specific actions on a website. This allows us to provide targeted advertising in the future. If you do not wish to receive this type of advertising from us in the future you can opt out using the DoubleClick opt-out page or the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.”

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are trying to bring our tour to the big marketing advertisement in the world tourism marketing