Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Audience and Negative Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I had a question about the audience I am building to remarket to. If I build an audience, and then say a week later, I add negative keywords from the search terms, will that user be removed from my audience?

For example, I am in real estate. Let's say I build a list (or just use the All Users) for anyone who clicks my ad from Google. If someone types in "tiny bird houses for sale", clicks on my ad, and is now a part of my audience, but then I add that phrase as a negative keyword, will that user be removed from my list?

There are SO many people I do not want to remarket to based on search terms that have nothing to do with real estate or what I offer. So to remove them, is it as simple as adding negative keywords?

I appreciate any insight on this!

Celeste

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Celeste H
March 2016

Re: Remarketing Audience and Negative Keywords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Celeste,

You would not be able to add negative keywords to block certain users from a remarketing audience in AdWords. Your best bet is to stay on top of the search term reports and add negatives frequently to minimize the amount of unwanted users in your remarketing list. Also, if you haven't already done so you may want to look for patterns in the terms you are adding as negatives and use phrase match negatives like "bird" or "tiny" to block more unwanted queries at once.

There are also some useful audience creation features available in Google Analytics. These audiences are available to you in AdWords if you have your account linked to your Google Analytics account with remarketing capabilities enabled. To create an audience of low value users you can utilize attributes like session duration, pages per session, bounces, or even referring paid keyword (unfortunately you can't build using search terms!). You can then use this audience as negative/exclusion in your AdWords remarketing campaign.

Hope this helps,
-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Celeste H
March 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Celeste,

You would not be able to add negative keywords to block certain users from a remarketing audience in AdWords. Your best bet is to stay on top of the search term reports and add negatives frequently to minimize the amount of unwanted users in your remarketing list. Also, if you haven't already done so you may want to look for patterns in the terms you are adding as negatives and use phrase match negatives like "bird" or "tiny" to block more unwanted queries at once.

There are also some useful audience creation features available in Google Analytics. These audiences are available to you in AdWords if you have your account linked to your Google Analytics account with remarketing capabilities enabled. To create an audience of low value users you can utilize attributes like session duration, pages per session, bounces, or even referring paid keyword (unfortunately you can't build using search terms!). You can then use this audience as negative/exclusion in your AdWords remarketing campaign.

Hope this helps,
-Jim
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Jim! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

I do have Analytics linked to AdWords and have built a couple of audiences there. Since you mentioned it, I was wondering if those would be the same audiences for AdWords or if I need to create separate ones there. If I understand correctly, if the accounts are linked, everything is synced.

Also, I added the Analytics "UA" ID to every page of my WordPress site for remarketing. I'm assuming I don't need to go grab the remarketing tag from AdWords if I have this in place.

Thanks again for your help!

Celeste

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Celeste,

When beginning the process of creating an audience in Analytics it will ask you which AdWords account you want to link it to. It will then appear automatically in AdWords in Shared Library > Audiences and in the 'Type' column it will denote it as 'Google Analytics'.

-Jim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jim! I can see our audiences there.

Celeste