AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing ... AND .... OR

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Remarketing lists looks different than the last time I saw it. Now I am not sure. And cannot find explanation in the Help text.

What is the difference between these two pictures? I think it is the AND and OR  operator. But which is which?

remarketing-5 list rules AND.png

remarketing-6 list rules OR.png

May I guess :  1 = AND operator, 2 = OR operator

Who knows for sure?

Edit : Mmmmmmmmmmm, now I see the word And in the blue button, then 2 is AND operator?

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elja G
September 2015

Re: Remarketing ... AND .... OR

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Elja,
I tried.
To answer your first two questions.
1. OR (matches any of the following: Adwords or Analytics)
2. AND (URL contains both Adwords and Analytics)

Now, say you want to add more OR to your existing list
You need to click on "+Rule" there.
I. You want to add just one URL using +Rule, it will added to your existing list as below
Say you added "URL Contains PPC" and clicked on "Done"

Now your 1st list will be "URL Contains Adwords" OR "URL Contains Analytics" OR "URL Contains PPC"

II. Now you click on "+Rule". This time you added two URL as below using "+Rule" to make AND:
Say you added both using +Rule
"URL contains SEM"
"URL contains DigitalMarketing"
Now you clicked on Done.

This will be added as "URL contains SEM AND DigitalMarketing"

Now your 1st list will be "URL Contains Adwords" OR "URL Contains Analytics" OR "URL Contains PPC" OR "URL contains SEM AND DigitalMarketing"

So, if you want to add more OR to your existing list, you need to add it one by one using +Rule. If you need AND, you need add multiple URL conditions after you click on +Rule.

I did not like the Advanced Options. If I click on Advanced Options and create a new list and save (assuming it will be added as one more to the existing), it just clears of the exiting list and you retain only the new one. I do not know the reason.

It is little complex to understand but interesting Smiley Happy

Note: Sorry, I could not use Full Reply Editor here. It is not allowing me to paste images. With images it would have been easier to explain.

Regards,
Balu
www.locsea.com/googleadwordsblog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Elja, wow, that's not very friendly, is it?  I think you've got it, it looks like the "blue" options nearer the top are "OR"s, and the grey conditions in the dialogues are "AND"s.  So your #1 would be anyone who has visited a page with the URL containing AdWords OR Analytics and the #2 would be anyone who has visited a page with the URL containing AdWords AND Analytics.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Had exactly this issue this morning with dynamic targeting and you are spot on with your edit. And Jon is right - it's not very clear.

If you want OR you need to set up two targets otherwise they combine and you'll likely get no traffic.

I set up two targets one for each...

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 8.21.57 PM.png

because in the text it says all conditions must be met

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 8.22.24 PM.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Elja,

"May I guess : 1 = AND operator, 2 = OR operator"

The other way around:

1 is OR operator
2 is AND operator.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elja G
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Elja,
I tried.
To answer your first two questions.
1. OR (matches any of the following: Adwords or Analytics)
2. AND (URL contains both Adwords and Analytics)

Now, say you want to add more OR to your existing list
You need to click on "+Rule" there.
I. You want to add just one URL using +Rule, it will added to your existing list as below
Say you added "URL Contains PPC" and clicked on "Done"

Now your 1st list will be "URL Contains Adwords" OR "URL Contains Analytics" OR "URL Contains PPC"

II. Now you click on "+Rule". This time you added two URL as below using "+Rule" to make AND:
Say you added both using +Rule
"URL contains SEM"
"URL contains DigitalMarketing"
Now you clicked on Done.

This will be added as "URL contains SEM AND DigitalMarketing"

Now your 1st list will be "URL Contains Adwords" OR "URL Contains Analytics" OR "URL Contains PPC" OR "URL contains SEM AND DigitalMarketing"

So, if you want to add more OR to your existing list, you need to add it one by one using +Rule. If you need AND, you need add multiple URL conditions after you click on +Rule.

I did not like the Advanced Options. If I click on Advanced Options and create a new list and save (assuming it will be added as one more to the existing), it just clears of the exiting list and you retain only the new one. I do not know the reason.

It is little complex to understand but interesting Smiley Happy

Note: Sorry, I could not use Full Reply Editor here. It is not allowing me to paste images. With images it would have been easier to explain.

Regards,
Balu
www.locsea.com/googleadwordsblog

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Steve,

With Dynamic targeting you can read it somewhere in the help. But it is not so clear explained. It would be nice if they explained more which are OR and AND operators in different cases. Then it clear at the moment you read it.

But that is the problem with the whole Help text. Most of the time they do not explain it the Top Down way. They always explain things the Bottom up way. So sometimes you have to read say 30 pages, lots of pages, en than conclude the answer to your own question what the principle is.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@ Jon and LathBalu,

Hi Jon,
The stupid thing it only shows AND when you just random picks an option and save it. If you wanted OR, you now can see (If you know where to look) that you are wrong. If you choose the OR way, you do not get to see an OR anywhere.

Hi LathaBalu,

Ahh, I did not see the advanced options. Just to much thinking about the first options, what it meant.

OK, Show advanced options, to see it the SIMPLE way!!!

remarketing operators advanced.jpg

But when fill in, And say Hide advanced options, there is nothing...........,

Not in the rule field...
So I did not fill in anything that is saved? Or did I???

When I test with button Save, YEST it is.

But it is all very confusing. For me programmer wins the price for making most confusing program..

Edit extra : You only can choose one way,  the first method of the andvanced method.

I see now, that it was what Balu was saying too in other words