Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Regional Keyword Use - Not City/Town Names

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi Friends,

So I'm looking for some alternative opinions (other than my own) on a very unique situation to where I live, work and play.

Cape Cod - You know that little spit of land that sticks out of Massachusetts.  

Here's the thing.  According to G-Maps - Cape Cod is located in the middle of Cape Cod Bay, its not recognized as a state, city or town, as its technically not.  Is the point in the bay a good reference point, sure, but for us marketers, it leads to all sorts of messes because people who live here and who come to visit will often use 'Cape Cod' instead of town names when submitting queries.  

So what are your thoughts on how to make use of the 'Cape Cod' regional tag.  As far as I know, Google doesn't recognize it enough for location or intent.  For local campaigns, I can use geotargeting to keep the region somewhat intact but when it comes to a visitor based businesses - traffic could be coming from anywhere.  People planning vacations etc...

The key is "Cape Cod" needs to remain a 'phrase' in Adwords speak but is often 'low search inventory' when used as such but I can't avoid using it. Cod and Cape are not relevant on their own nor when used out of order.

I know this must apply in other places around the country/globe. Outer Banks, NC, Florida Keys or Great Lakes Region for instance. 

I've generally managed to do okay with these type of campaigns but I was curious about how I could do better. 

Anyone have any insight or thoughts they may want to share on strategies?  How you might approach a similar situation?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBossman
September 2015

Hi Tom,   I'm afraid I don't have much of a suggestion fo...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid I don't have much of a suggestion for you other than to set up your campaign with out the "Cape Cod" in your keywords, then use the Ad Preview tool. Set your location to somewhere out of your target area. Then put in one of your keywords you know you will show for and add "Cape Cod". And see what happens.

Google is pretty good at this, but the results of the test wouldn't surprise me either way. Please let us know how it turns out. You have me curious now!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

geo targeting in small places

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Tom;

Very nice worded question! (I stared the question - rarely done...)

In my region, geo targeting using G-map,s is not fully supported, as in "cape-code". What I normally do is:

1. Use the broad modifier (+) to cover all propositions (e.g : at cape code, in cape code, to cape code...etc..)
  2. Another option to lure prospective buyer / visitors/ is names of famous attractions near-by,in the ad-copy. (e.g: Best sea food next to [attraction name].)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Thanks Guys!!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks so much for the responses!

@Pete

I have a couple things in the works now but I'm definitely going to be doing lots of testing and analysis over this next tourism season to see what the better route is, I’m not convinced I’ve discovered the best option yet.  I'll report back for sure.

@Moshe

Thanks!  I can get wordy at times but I also try hard to convey my message.  I appreciate the kind words.

As far as your suggestions, they're now both on my list. I'm without a doubt going to make use of more modified broad match and see how that works.  There are actually lots of 'Attractions' here I can use in that manner. Put the local knowledge to work.  Great Idea.   

Thanks again, I just want to get the wheels turning and see what comes of it, there are many great minds here!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hi Tom,   You might try Google Insight for Search because...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

You might try Google Insight for Search because it gives you a real pattern (region wise) of the terms popular in particular regions from 2004 till current. You can do the extensive research on this and let us know if that helps in some way.

Pankaj