AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Regarding Managed placement and Topics combination of Target & Bid and Bid Only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There has been couple of explanations about Target & Bid and Bid Only options however either it’s explained too simple or too complicated and leaving us little confused hence I have come out with combinations where experts could help us with the answers.

Here I consider the combinations of Managed placement and Topics.

Scenario 1

Managed placements (Target & Bid) + Topics (Bid Only):

Let me come with an example:

Managed placement: www.abcd.com

Topic: News

Will ads display in www.abcd.com and will it also display in “other websites” wherever the topic matches. Here i mean other websites as websites that are not listed in the manually entered placements.

Or

Will ads display in www.abcd.com (across pages) and also display in www.abcd.com when it matches the topic i.e. the topic “News” in www.abcd.com  and any other websites mentioned within the placements we have entered.

Expert answer:

Scenario 2

Topics (Bid Only) + Managed placements (Target & Bid)

Let me come with an example:

Topic: News

Managed placement: www.abcd.com

Will ads display in all websites that are not listed in the placements when topic matches? and also Ads will display in all the websites across display network which are not listed in placements and also will ads run in placements websites only if it matches the topic.

Expert answer:

Scenario 3

Managed placements (Target & Bid) + Topics (Target & Bid)

Will ads display in placement websites only if the topic matches and ads will not run in any other websites apart the manually entered placements.

Ads run only in www.abcd.com if it matches the topic News.

Expert answer: 

Scenario 4

Topics (Target & Bid) + Managed placements (Bid only)

Ads display in all websites in display network irrespective of the manually entered placements and also ads run in managed placement websites if the topic matches.

Ads run across display network + only in www.abcd.com if it matches the topic.

Expert answer:

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Regarding Managed placement and Topics combination of Target & Bid and Bid Only

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Scenario 1 Managed placements (Target & Bid) + Topics (Bid Only)

Ans:

Your Ads will appear

1. when a user visit abcd.com and consume the content of NEWS sections. (ads will not appear when a user visit abcd.com and read the entertainment section.

2. Your ads will appear on the placements site (other than abcd.com) when a user reads news site on any placements.

Scenario 2 Topics (Bid Only) + Managed placements (Target & Bid)

This is same of Scenario 1.

Scenario 3

Managed placements (Target & Bid) + Topics (Target & Bid)

Your Ads will appear when a user visit abcd.com and consume the content of NEWS sections. (ads will not appear when a user visit abcd.com and read the entertainment section.

Scenario 4

Topics (Target & Bid) + Managed placements (Bid only)

There is no need to add the Bid Only in Managed Placement. Bid only is used to find additional placements. 

Rest it will work as a Scenario 3.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

In scenario 1 & 2 your ads would still show on all pages of the managed placement. It's only when you select target and bid (or exclude) that you restrict the targeting. The Venn diagram to the right of the targeting settings can help you visualize your reach. Your estimated weekly available impressions will give you an idea of whether a targeting option increases or decreases your reach.

If you select bid only for a secondary targeting method and the available impressions increase, then you know you will be showing ads for both targeting options. If you select target and bid and the estimated available impressions decrease, then you know you are only showing ads when both targeting options match.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your reply that was very well explained. one final clarification in the answer that you had provided in for senario 1 point no 2.

"Your ads will appear on the placements site (other than abcd.com) when a user reads news site on any placements"

i believe "on any placements" means that websites that are not listed by us in the managed placements in our targeting method right?

you mean to say any other website in the google display network which matches the topic news the ads will be displayed right?

example: lets say i have only 3 managed placements and i have it as "Target & Bid"

and add topic as News and mark it as "Bid Only"

www.xyz.com

www.abcd.com

www.abcde.com

Now ads will be mentioned in the above 3 websites under news section.

Will ads appear apart from the above list i.e. in anyother website across display network say aaaa.com, bbbb.com ccc.com if it matches the topic News. in case if it displays like that is there an option to see the such list of websites  in our account.

kindly help