AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Redirection and masking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm new to adwords and have set up a campaign and landing page to test the market into BMI (body mass index).

The problem is that I'm suffering from a low quality score and I can't work out why:

Quality score is 3/10

keyword relevance: poor

landing page: quality: no problems

landing page: load time: no problems

Click through rate is 0.87

average position 1.2

We've made sure that the keywords are well represented on the landing page, the subject matter is relevant and we've used negative keywords to exclude anything related to BMI, the airline.

The only other thing that I can think of is that we might be penalised for using a redirect to another URL using masking - could this be hitting our keyword relevance and quality score so severely? 

URL is www.drop-your-BMI.com

Any help gratefully received.

Barney

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Redirection and masking

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Barney,

After reviewing your landing page I'll suggest you to add the privacy policy page in landing page, I'm afraid adwords can suspend your account at time b/c of this.  Some of other things which can effect the QS is, navigation as there is no navigation, no contact address. Try to make landing page more informational.  

QS of keywords also depend on the historical perfprmance of keywords, how these keywords perform when some other advertiser use them, performance of keywords in particular region. If keywords you choosed don't used by advertiser in past it will be tough to get good quality score for keywords.

For redirect as Google said "For each ad, you specify a destination URL to determine where people are taken when they click your ad. Unless your webpage uses a redirect for tracking purposes, your landing page and destination URL will be the same webpage."

In my guess your landing page have too many redirects, please consult with your webmaster for this issue. Kindly read the Understanding Landing Page Quality to make your landing page much better.

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Barney,

I'm afraid you have some serious issues with your web site. The most serious of these issues is the fact that you are framing a different web site on the page. That is not allowed and will get you banned.

Your statement at the bottom of the page "Privacy Policy: We promise not to share your email address with anyone", is insufficient. You don't mention the AdWords cookie of the Google Analytics cookie used for tracking. That is required.

Your form asks for personal information but doesn't really say what you will do with that data.

Your page says "We are in this process of building this site to help you control your BMI." This indicates your site is under construction, which is also not allowed. You might be better off with some sort of forum. AdWords visitors would be encouraged to sign up for the forum and provide suggestions for content that way. It might work out better, and you'll get a good bit of original content on your site as well.

In short, you are lucky you are getting low quality scores and not being banned altogether. Do yourself a favor and pause your campaign until you are able to fix these things. Be sure to read and understand the AdWords policies and do your best to comply. Dinesh's suggestions concering things that are missing from your site here are also very valid.

You might start here, Overview - Advertising Policies Help. You can find sample privacy policies through Google search: AdWords privacy generator.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

forgot to say that we've set up tittle and descrition tags which include words in the ad.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Barney,

After reviewing your landing page I'll suggest you to add the privacy policy page in landing page, I'm afraid adwords can suspend your account at time b/c of this.  Some of other things which can effect the QS is, navigation as there is no navigation, no contact address. Try to make landing page more informational.  

QS of keywords also depend on the historical perfprmance of keywords, how these keywords perform when some other advertiser use them, performance of keywords in particular region. If keywords you choosed don't used by advertiser in past it will be tough to get good quality score for keywords.

For redirect as Google said "For each ad, you specify a destination URL to determine where people are taken when they click your ad. Unless your webpage uses a redirect for tracking purposes, your landing page and destination URL will be the same webpage."

In my guess your landing page have too many redirects, please consult with your webmaster for this issue. Kindly read the Understanding Landing Page Quality to make your landing page much better.

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Barney,

I'm afraid you have some serious issues with your web site. The most serious of these issues is the fact that you are framing a different web site on the page. That is not allowed and will get you banned.

Your statement at the bottom of the page "Privacy Policy: We promise not to share your email address with anyone", is insufficient. You don't mention the AdWords cookie of the Google Analytics cookie used for tracking. That is required.

Your form asks for personal information but doesn't really say what you will do with that data.

Your page says "We are in this process of building this site to help you control your BMI." This indicates your site is under construction, which is also not allowed. You might be better off with some sort of forum. AdWords visitors would be encouraged to sign up for the forum and provide suggestions for content that way. It might work out better, and you'll get a good bit of original content on your site as well.

In short, you are lucky you are getting low quality scores and not being banned altogether. Do yourself a favor and pause your campaign until you are able to fix these things. Be sure to read and understand the AdWords policies and do your best to comply. Dinesh's suggestions concering things that are missing from your site here are also very valid.

You might start here, Overview - Advertising Policies Help. You can find sample privacy policies through Google search: AdWords privacy generator.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks so much for your help guys - You can obviously tell that we are very new to this and it is a very steep learning curve!  I can see the problems with the landing page now it's been pointed out and I've paused the campaign as suggested.  Also, I've been on the phone to google today and they've explained to me that the redirect is unlikely to be a problem but my keywords are not specific enough.  We'll take the contact form off and we'll add a bit more detail.    

Thanks again

Barney