AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hey Guys,

Just got back from a relaxed weekend, doing what I love the most, experimenting around in my kitchen. While the last time we took a look at the ingredients, today, let’s discuss in more detail on how to make the perfect Quality Score sauce.

The recipe is very simple, more or less based on the ingredients and is easy to figure out. You should definitely try this one at home.

If you missed our last discussion on ingredients, here is a quick recap.

METHOD:

Before I go on to the method, let me give you a quick pointer, that works wonders for me in my kitchen. I hope it will do the same for you.

I usually organize my refrigerator into different sections for different food items and beverages. Similarly, your AdWords account too should have different campaigns for different networks (i.e. separate campaigns for search and display). It also makes sense to have a different campaign for each product and service being provided by you and within each campaign having different relevant ad groups with at least two ads very relevant to each of your ad groups.

Now, lets get cracking! This is how I make my Quality Score sauce:

1. Add Keywords

Take an existing campaign and add more keywords to it after having a look at your ‘See search terms’ report. As I mentioned before, Google takes into account the Exact match Click through rate (CTR) for the keyword, It is important to look at this report and keep adding new keywords to your keyword list, which will exactly match the search query, irrespective of the match type they are in.

2. Add Negative Keywords
It is also recommended that you add negative keywords after looking at the ‘See search terms’ report, this will help you to avoid getting impressions for irrelevant search terms and help in improving the CTR.

P.S. This is a very important resource and you should regularly add keywords and negative keywords on the basis of this report to assure optimum account performance.

3. Pause keywords
‘Low search volume’ keywords and keywords with a lot of impressions but very few clicks i.e. ones having a very poor CTR, have an impact on the overall performance of the account and hence you should consider pausing these keywords.

4. Set the right temperature
Make sure that you are bidding competitively. The better your ad position, higher the chances of improving CTR for the display URL and keyword. At the least, try to make sure that your max CPC is in line with the estimated first page bid. And for the real competitive edge, switch to manual bidding and go all out.

5. Garnishing
You know the value of your products and services, its time others know what you have to offer. This is where the presentation of the dish makes the cut.

Make sure you create ads that are more attractive, having call to actions phrases and also include more USPs about your company and services, so that the user finds them attractive. Here are some call-to-action words that you may want to consider using: Buy, Sell, Order, Browse, Find, Sign up, Get a Quote. Also, don’t forget on the inter capitalization in your ad text.

So folks, now you know the secret behind my Quality Score sauce. Hope you guys will enjoying making your Quality score sauce as much as I enjoyed making mine. I’ll be happy to answer any further questions that you may have.

Till then, Happy Cooking!

Tanmay A Arora
(Wanna-be) Chef and The AdWords Guy

Please remember, as this is an open forum I might not be able to take any account specific questions. You’re always free to contact us through our various support channels.

Also, check out this video which tells you more about the refrigerator tip I shared with you and if any of you guys manage to get a hold of this chef, please put in a word for my cooking skills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr6BioTZKGM

And for a detailed and more technical video for improving your campaign structure, check out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7CZLDSTaic&feature=relmfu

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Tanmay  - I loved your writing style & content !!!

+1ed it  :-)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Yummy!! Loved the taste of the sauce!! 

Two questions:

1) Why to pause "Low Search Volume" Keywords. I see such keywords gets less impression less clicks and good CTR.

2) I have seen many times when i add new keywords from search query it gets good QS as you said. But most of the keywords are low search volume. Should we keep or pause these keywords?

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I wouldn't necessarily get rid of low search volume terms not doing much harm and could show again at some point.

However these may be one of terms that never show again. Would need a good date range and work out if worth adding or let another keyword pick it up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great tips! I use these every day and they really do seem to help with getting high click-through-rates and keep costs per click down.

dan
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
dan
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your advice on bidding up to improve CTR goes against everything else Google has said. As I understand you have a position weighted CTR so as long as the CTR you get is competitive for the position in which the ad is showing there is no harm in bidding for low positions.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hey Neha,

Thank you for your questions.

Well, when I say that we need to pause 'Low search volume' keywords, I essentially mean to say that we need to pause keywords that do not have a good CTR. If a Low search volume keyword is giving you a good CTR then there is no need to pause the same, you should go ahead with it. 

However, the reason the same was mentioned is because it is seen that in most cases, these keywords have a low CTR and affect the performancce of the account.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Thanks for your response. I appreciate.
Just one small thing, sometimes (some of the keywords) at the moment we add keywords from search query it show them as "Low search volume". Should we wait to see the performance for such keywords or we should pause them immediately?
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

"3. Pause keywords
‘Low search volume’ keywords and keywords with a lot of impressions but very few clicks i.e. ones having a very poor CTR, have an impact on the overall performance of the account and hence you should consider pausing these keywords." 

Does performance mean quality score?  "performance of the account" Does that mean there is an official account level quality score? 

Tom

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

@Neha - I suggest that you wait to see the performance for such keywords.

@Thomas - We don't have an account level Quality Score but the performance of the account certainly has an impact on the Quality score of the keyword. To know more on the same you can go through the previous post on 'Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce'.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you guys have any further account level questions, you’re always free to contact us through our various support channels.