AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Receiving no impressions, new campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently running a campaign with 2 keywords.

Based on the keyword planner, and my current bid, these keywords should give over 30k daily ads impressions. My ads are approved and keywords eligible. Also, if I check the AdPreview tool, I see my add in the top 3 of the page for both keywords.

However my account is showing ZERO impressions for both keywords and I am tracking my website traffic in real time with another tool and there is no traffic. I know the the actual adwords stats can be delayed but the real time stats are not lying, my ads are just not showing att all.

Also my billing information are ok and I have made an initial deposit in case this was the problem.

What could possible be going on here? My account is 1 day old, could this be the issue?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex R
September 2015

Re: Receiving no impressions, new campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex.
If the ad preview tool shows your ad, there's no problem with your account.

The problem is the way you are interpreting the data from the keyword planner. The default match type used by the tool is broad. This is a common cause for confusion.

For example, if you put in the term "google" into the tool, let's say you get a million monthly impressions as a result. However, that includes terms like "google mail, google images, google share price, google apps". The people searching for the exact term "google" is going to be much lower.

You need to change the "match type" setting to "exact" in the tool to get more accurate numbers of monthly impressions. The number is usually VERY different.

You also need to remember that the search volume is an ESTIMATE and it's based on global volume unless you specify otherwise.

I've seen MANY examples of clients using the tool incorrectly and expecting a LOT more impressions than is actually possible.

Finally, you have to remember that your location targeting is going to impact your impression volume significantly.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex.
If the ad preview tool shows your ad, there's no problem with your account.

The problem is the way you are interpreting the data from the keyword planner. The default match type used by the tool is broad. This is a common cause for confusion.

For example, if you put in the term "google" into the tool, let's say you get a million monthly impressions as a result. However, that includes terms like "google mail, google images, google share price, google apps". The people searching for the exact term "google" is going to be much lower.

You need to change the "match type" setting to "exact" in the tool to get more accurate numbers of monthly impressions. The number is usually VERY different.

You also need to remember that the search volume is an ESTIMATE and it's based on global volume unless you specify otherwise.

I've seen MANY examples of clients using the tool incorrectly and expecting a LOT more impressions than is actually possible.

Finally, you have to remember that your location targeting is going to impact your impression volume significantly.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dave,

Thanks for your answer.

I know about match type. The 2 keywords I am running are exact match ([keyword]) and that's what I am inputing in the keyword planner. I am doing a test only in the USA right now and the location of the keyword planner is set to USA.

I know the keyword planner is only an estimate but something that is getting over 30k exact daily add impression for a similar bid, should at least grant me ONE impressions, or ONE click. I am getting none at all right now. Something is wrong..

I also tried to overbid alot to aleast try to get something going, I bid 4-5x times the average (estimate) cpc but still nothing.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,
Do you mind sharing the keywords you are targeting?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Another option:
What section of the keyword tool are you using? -"'Get estimates"? Or "view historical data".?
If you are using the "estimator" - the figures could be wrong since this is a new campaign.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’