Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Received email saying "your ads are currently running"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I received an email from "adwords-noreply@google.com" this morning with the subject line "Google AdWords -- Your ads are now running". I do have an AdWords account, but I do not have any active compaigns. I have viewed headers on the email, and (as far as I can tell) it appears to be from google.com. My account on the AdWords site appears to be in order. I only have one campaign, and it ended months ago.

Just in case, I have submitted the email to their phishing reporting form (https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/request.py?contact_type=phishing)

Is it possible I have simply received this email in error? Thanks for any help you may provide!

best,

Chad

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Received email saying "your ads are currently running"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments to this thread. I submitted the original email I received to Google's AdWords Phishing URL Report Form, and received the following response last night:

"Thank you for writing in. First of all let me apologize for the inconvenience this email has caused. There was a certain temporary technical issue in the account because of which you received this email. Please be assured that the ads in your account never ran. It was just a wrong communication due to the technical issue. I really apologize for the confusion this caused."

So, in short, it seems that the email many of us received was in error, and not a phishing attempt or sign of accounts being hacked.

View solution in original post

Re: Account hacked

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello FringeDigital; Welcome;

Have you authorized anyone else to access your account?

If not; please report using this link:

What to do if your account is hacked?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chad,

I actually recieved a weird email today too...on an account that is NOT currently running and has NEVER run Google TV ads.

"This message was sent from a notification-only email address that does not
accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message. If you have any
questions, please visit the Google AdWords Help Center at
http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/?hl=en_US to find answers to
frequently asked questions and a 'contact us' link near the bottom of the
page.
------------------------

Dear AdWords Advertiser,

Your ads are now running.

Thank you for advertising with Google TV Ads.

Sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team "

I definitely know who has access to the account (I double checked this immediately), no change history is present and nothing is actively running...

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I received the same email as you guys today, twice.

One had a line referencing TV ads, the other did not.

I have 2 Adwords account, both were included in the email. I logged into both accounts. Neither had been hacked. Neither account has any currently running ads. Neither account has had any ads at all running since 2009.

what's up?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Have you reported phishing / abuse?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure why I would report phishing / abuse. There are not approved ads or running ads in my accounts, so it must be a mistake for me to receive an email saying "your ads are currently running"

Also, I looked at the history and there have not been any ads running since 2009.

What makes you think this is abuse?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I may have figured it out. I got the identical email today and even though I have an Adwords account I haven't used it in a long time.  I figured at first it was phishing but look at all headers.  Then I also checked my account to see it's not running.

I use Google Product Search and today I read that Google is going to rename it Google Shopping and will begin charging for stores to submit feeds and use it. As part of that, from what I read it seems it'll be running under Google Adwords as part of that system or something similar to that. I don't understand the changes yet but I wonder if since I'm listing on Google Product Search if maybe that means that I'm technically using Adwords even though they aren't charging yet.  That may be wrong and it may be a simple mistake that that email was sent out and nothing more but this is the only explanation I can think of so far.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments to this thread. I submitted the original email I received to Google's AdWords Phishing URL Report Form, and received the following response last night:

"Thank you for writing in. First of all let me apologize for the inconvenience this email has caused. There was a certain temporary technical issue in the account because of which you received this email. Please be assured that the ads in your account never ran. It was just a wrong communication due to the technical issue. I really apologize for the confusion this caused."

So, in short, it seems that the email many of us received was in error, and not a phishing attempt or sign of accounts being hacked.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Thanks Chad for the follow up!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Final Update:

I received an automated email this morning:

"Dear AdWords advertiser,

Because of a technical issue, some of your campaigns might have mistakenly resumed running on May 31, 2012. You might also have received an email titled, "Google AdWords - Your ads are now running.”

We’ve fixed this issue and are crediting your account for the amount you accrued. Once it’s been applied, the credit will appear on the Transaction history page, located on the “Billing” tab of your AdWords account.

If you’d like your ads to run in the future, follow these steps to re-enable your form of payment:

1.Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
2.Click the “Billing” tab, then the "Billing settings" link on the left.
3.Find your disabled form of payment on the page.
4.Check that the payment details are correct, then contact your bank or credit card provider to see if the form of payment can be used.
5.Click the "Re-enable form of payment" link to make it usable again.

After you re-enable your form of payment, your ads will start to run again. Keep in mind that once you re-enable your form of payment, you may be billed for unpaid advertising costs that you accrued before this error.

We apologize for the technical issue, and thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,
The AdWords Team"

I'm sure you others have or will as well.

-Tom