AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Does broad modifier work in display network?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe,

I would actually maintain that there is no such concept as "themes" of keywords anymore. Already back in 2010, we talked with a Google rep who confirmed that putting a single broad keyword in a conextual ad group would get relevant targeted results - which we did (successfully for a client).

I would "argue" that google's updated contextual algorithm now gives keywords matching to the page level, giving you the ability to track statistics down to a specific word that triggered the match.

Anecdotally, one of my clients bid on a display campaign and it worked (Gasp!). Haven't figured that one out yet though...
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author david-globalsem
September 2015

Re: New Display Network tab - con

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi David,

I don't know too much about display / content targeting, but I can confirm that our keyword-based display network targeting is smarter than it used to be.  The engineers in the content serving team have done some amazing things that let them use a lot more information to decide which ads are relevant.  I went to a talk they gave a few months ago and was impressed.  I think they're now able to include more things like page topics, site-level context, semantic concepts that match your keywords, etc., rather than on simple word matches.

[I'm being a bit vague here, partly intentionally to avoid giving away secrets and partly just because I don't work in that area and don't have most of the details in my head at 9:30 on a Friday night... :-]

What this means for advertisers and how you should change campaigns to take advantage of it is something I can't speak to at all -- Moshe knows way more than I do.  I just write part of the code; I've never run AdWords campaigns except some small, toy ones with tiny budgets.

Laura

AdWords engineer

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@david-nationalp

I did stress that with the new Display Network tab - the  concept of  a theme of KWs,-  creating  a contextual targeting  - has "passed away".  There is really a revolution in concept.  

Have you read  the  posts by Karl from Google (on the new DN tab - following my questions)  in this discussion 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Oops, I responded from the mobile version, and meant to add this on to that conversation...

Yes, I did read the conversation.

My thoughts based on my experiences were that Google may have already been doing something similar for awhile (just not reporting on it).

As said, I've asked our Google reps about using individual keywords in an ad group vs. a theme, and they were pro using individual keywords in an ad group.

I don't think this conflicts with Karl's statements.

However, I do believe it could change the paradigm on how to leverage the new contextual algorithm more fully and get better results.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author david-globalsem
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi David,

I don't know too much about display / content targeting, but I can confirm that our keyword-based display network targeting is smarter than it used to be.  The engineers in the content serving team have done some amazing things that let them use a lot more information to decide which ads are relevant.  I went to a talk they gave a few months ago and was impressed.  I think they're now able to include more things like page topics, site-level context, semantic concepts that match your keywords, etc., rather than on simple word matches.

[I'm being a bit vague here, partly intentionally to avoid giving away secrets and partly just because I don't work in that area and don't have most of the details in my head at 9:30 on a Friday night... :-]

What this means for advertisers and how you should change campaigns to take advantage of it is something I can't speak to at all -- Moshe knows way more than I do.  I just write part of the code; I've never run AdWords campaigns except some small, toy ones with tiny budgets.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Laura (& @MosheTLV),

Thanks for participating on this conversation. Your insight is very helpful.

- David