Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Rarely shown due to low quality score in Some Account

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Since last week in some of our AdWords it shows message rarely shown due to low quality score. Before that quality score for that keyword was 6 and suddenly it changed to 2. And we have created separate ad group and destination url for keywords still it shows rarely shown message. I have also added all ad extensions like sitelinks, call extensions and other. Can anyone guide what is the reason behind sudden change in quality score.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rarely shown due to low quality score in Some Account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Opal l,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

You said you created separate Ad Groups and have separate landing pages as well. Did you do it after the Drop or it was there before?

If you ask me, the sudden drop in quality score can be caused due to any of every one of the factors below in general:

• Change in Ad Copies
  • Change in Keywords Match Type
  • Change in Landing page
  • Change in Bid
  • Major change in other keywords' quality score in the group

You should dig into these possible areas  and refer to you change log to get into what caused this drop.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Opal,

I have the same questions and initial reaction as Ratan. Were any changes made prior to the drop in QS? I'd be especially interested in changes in position, ad copy, and landing pages. Also, have you had any landing page issues (errors or slow load time?) this could have an affect, as well.

The more you can tell us about optimizations leading up to the change, the better we can help you to determine what has caused the drop off.

Do you know, when it was a 6, which QS areas were below average? I assume at a 2 that they are all below average but if you can narrow it down to which part of QS has dropped, that would help diagnose it, as well.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Opal,

Quality score can be depending on multiple factors, here are some of my suggestions for you.

1. Make sure your have properly structured and grouped your keywords into different ad-groups.

2. If you have used broad or phrase match keywords, check search term report to make sure your ads are not appearing for unwanted keywords, if there are any irrelevant keywords add them as negative keywords to make sure they won't appear again.

3. Check if your landing page is relevant for your keywords and if the landing page is optimised. (loading time etc.)

4. See if you have relevant and compelling Ad copies, if not update. (Ad multiple variations)

Also have a look at the below link for in-depth explanation by Google:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en
Welcome to the AdWords community,

Hope it helps,
Infas

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Thank you all for your reply. Our site is working properly and it is properly optimized.

We had made some of the changes in campaign like we had created 4 ads per ad group but we were getting clicks only in 1 ad so we had paused that ad to see how other ads performs. Also we had made all the keywords to phrase match instead of broad match. These two changes were done in last 15 days and after that quality score was reduced.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Opal,

Bear in mind that Quality Score can change - quite dramatically - for new Keywords as AdWords gathers data for them.  When a Keyword is new - and changing from Broad to Phrase does create new Keywords - AdWords initially has no data on performance so Quality Score is based upon other factors such as the typical performance of these Keywords for other advertisers, and the overall typical scores across your Account.  Once the Keywords begin to gather their own data, the Quality Score will be revised to be based upon their actual performance and you can see a big change.

So, if this is a recent change I'd be inclined simply to wait a few days until the Keywords gather some data and you may see the QS rise.

As well as this, I'd recommend you switch your Ad Rotation setting to "Rotate evenly" rather than either of the optimisation settings.  This will allow you to properly test your Ad variations as each will then be entered into the same number of auctions.

You may also want to look at Keyword QS across your whole Account.  If you have a lot of older Keywords with a low QS, this may be why these new ones were given such a low initial score.  Removing or "fixing" these other Keywords could bring the overall score for your Account up.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Opal,

All of the suggestions you've received are good. It sounds like you may have paused your best ad. Since CTR is a big contributing factor to quality score, this could be the issue. As Jon mentioned, you should set your ads to standard rotation. I would also advise reactivating your top performing ad right away. If you don't get a lot of traffic, you might consider testing only two ads at a time. Then you can pause the loser and add in another, and so on and so forth. It's best to keep some continuity in place with your ads.

I try not to pause all of my ads and reactivate all new. I always pause one and keep one active. Does that make sense?

Phrase match shouldn't be hard on your QS but if your position has decreased, that could affect your CTR, which could affect your QS.

Hope this helps!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I have activated my ad which was paused.

For some keywords i had removed phrase match to broad match so now it doesn't show rarely shown due to low quality score.

Also if i change any keyword to phrase match from broad match bid goes much higher for phrase match keyword. So which option is good for campaign performance.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Opal,

Often phrase match captures are more relevant audience (unless you are using modified broad terms). Even if it might take some time to increase your QS, phrase match is probably a better bet for ensuring that your traffic is relevant. I actually like to layer match types, so you might consider using both.

Hope this helps!