AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA for organic visits with the AdWords Tag, how to setup ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello dear Googlers,

I have been reading signals that the audiences built with the AdWords Tag gathers visitors not only from paid Ads but also from organic/ direct/ referral sources.

Can you please confirm that by setting up a RLSA campaign we would be targeting also previous organic visitors ? This could be a huge step ahead in gaining much more traffic for a RLSA campaign.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: RLSA for organic visits with the AdWords Tag, how to setup ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

although your answer to Rachit was very arrogant, I dare myself to answer also because in my Country a Googler is a person who use Google instead of a binger.

'...The code tells AdWords to add every site visitor to your list....' (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en)

'....In the Shared library, you'll see two remarketing list sizes: one for Google Search and one for the Display Network. These sizes can be significantly different because there are two different types of cookies used to create these lists. In addition, some remarketing lists are available for both Google Search and the Display Network, while others are available for the Display Network only....'

Therfore, the cookie is on every device, but for RLSA you can target only SOME of those who have the cookie. They are in the Search audience list.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian..

RLSA is a feature that lets you customize your search ads campaign for people who have previously visited your site, and tailor your bids and ads to these visitors when they're searching on Google.

Yes, you can track our visitors who visits your website either they purchase or not. it is possible if you have remarketing code implement on your each page of the website. Once this would be done you can track easily.

Setting Up RLSAs :- Go ahead with below mentioned link, getting exact idea about how to setup RLSA.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

Might be this would be helpful for you.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for answering but Sometimes it is best if you leave a message unanswered , especially since I have requested a solution from Googlers , meaning Google employees and I asked if the audience built with the AdWords tag includes Organic/Direct /Referral visitors, a detail that is not covered in the Help Center. If we afford to pay for 5000 clicks per month and we receive another 25.000 organic visits , such a detail could mean a lot for a RLSA campaign.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

although your answer to Rachit was very arrogant, I dare myself to answer also because in my Country a Googler is a person who use Google instead of a binger.

'...The code tells AdWords to add every site visitor to your list....' (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en)

'....In the Shared library, you'll see two remarketing list sizes: one for Google Search and one for the Display Network. These sizes can be significantly different because there are two different types of cookies used to create these lists. In addition, some remarketing lists are available for both Google Search and the Display Network, while others are available for the Display Network only....'

Therfore, the cookie is on every device, but for RLSA you can target only SOME of those who have the cookie. They are in the Search audience list.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Please understand that I was not at all trying to be arrogant , I had a previous discussion with a Top Contributor where he wasn't aware of this feature of gathering organic visitors in the RLSA list which you can read from here and he said "It'd be useful to have a confirmation of this from Google."

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Difference-Between-AdWords-Remarketing-Audience-a...

I learned the term Googlers from the forum when you click in the upper menu "About / AdWords Team" the title of the page is Googlers and the URL is also /Googlers , also many Top Contributors use this term in the forum just for Google employees.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Googlers

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@mvarga 

I appreciate your input , but since they do not detail in the documentation what "every visitor" means, people naturally assume that there are only paid visitors added, since the AdWords code tracks paid events, for example paid conversions.

Google should be more specific in details by saying that every visitor includes organic/referral/direct visits because for conversions the code works only for paid visits.

Can you also help me on this issue  ?

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Billing/How-much-is-the-service-fee-for-interest-category-ad...

Thank you

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I'm not an Google employee and therefore I can not give you any official answer. We have tested this and have target our display campaigns per category or target only 1 category per adgroup in a campaign.
I don't know the fee nor the categories where Google charge this fee for display campaigns, but as we have seen - better focused adgroups or campaign have better CPC/CTR/CPA.
Therfore we use a granular display campaign structure, almost like in search. We use focused category campaigns, topic campaigns and keyword campaigns or combine them but 1 categotry + 1 topic + several keywords + ev. remaarketing list per 1 adgrup.
It's not an answer, but can help.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes your experience helps a lot, especially since from your Google Plus page I understand that you work at a large scale with AdWords, by representing the best Google Partner in Croatia. I find your suggestions very valuable .

I will do as advised to build more focused targeting and avoid interests since they have this mysterious fee.

I think the main problem is that I tried focusing too much on certain cities and this reduced the target too much, until we received almost no impressions.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello.

Though I'm not a Googler and this thread is not for me, I will try to explain how audiences are built (with the AdWords code, not the Analytics one) and also how conversions are tracked, with the AdWords conversion tracking code.

• Remarketing

Whenever somebody visits a website page, irrespective of the traffic source, a cookie is set, and that browser instance is added to the list.

On towards the differences: for display remarketing, one needs at least 100 different cookies, and the remarketing list duration can go up to 540 days. For search remarketing though, one needs at least 1000 cookies, and the maximum duration is 180 days (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064). These (and probably also the moment when RLSA was launched, later than display remarketing) are the reasons why the audience sizes are different for search and display.

• AdWords conversion tracking

That script looks very similar to the remarketing script, but under the hood it performs radically different. The conversion script, in order to trigger a conversion attributable to AdWords looks for an AdWords cookie no older than 30 days. If it finds it, it uses the click ID in order to attribute the conversion to the last AdWords ad click. If it doesn't, the conversion is not attibuted to AdWords. This is the reason why one may see conversions attributed to AdWords in Analytics, but not in AdWords. So, unlike the remarketing script, it does not have an effect on any visit to the conversion page.

Hope I've managed to clarify things a bit. And again, sorry for posting on a thread not directed at me.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Great so somebody can also continue to explain how the "View-Through-Conversion" in a Display Campaign is incremented being triggered only by impressions without the under the hood Gclid when I have for example a CPM campaign with 50.000 paid impressions , another paid event Smiley Happy

Was it such a sin to  request an official confirmation about how a feature works ? I don't have the prerogatives to escalate an unexplained technical issue, like others do, in order to later receive an official opinion in the conversation. I see no other way in which I could have formulated this request.

When I look at the audience made with the tag for the last 30 days and at the visits in analytics for the last 30 days, they are not by far the same number although they should since "every visitor" is counted.

Could it be that the AdWords tag increments only 1 visitor in the audience per cookie even if he returns 10 times, while analytics counts new + returning ? 

Since our conversation will appear the first link for everyone who searches "RLSA organic" I would appreciate if personal remarks like "very arrogant" would be edited and removed.

rlsa-organic.png