Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA campaign level or ad group level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to set RLSA in my Adwords account. What are the pro's and cons of RLSA on campaign and ad group level?

Regards,

Chong

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chong

Please read this https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en and then ask detailed questions in case of dubts Smiley Wink

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. But I can't find my answer there.

Re: RLSA campaign level or ad group level

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Chong,

I have listed the pros and cons of ad group level RLSAs as opposed to campaign level RLSAs. The pros of ad group level are the cons of campaign level and vice versa.

• Ad Group Level
    • Pros: ability to adjust audience bids at a more granular and differentiated level creating better performance. For example, say that you have two ad groups in a campaign: Cars and Boats. People who view boats on your website are 50% more likely to purchase a boat. You can ad the boats audience to the Boats ad group with a bid adjustment of +50%. If this was done at the campaign level then bids would increase 50% for people in this audience even if they were searching cars. This isn't ideal because people who have looked at boats are not 50% more likely to purchase when searching cars (wasted ad spend).
    • Cons: 
      • It takes a longer time to accumulate data to make informed bid adjustments. The data is more granular, instead of aggregated to the campaign level, so you will need to wait significantly longer to understand RLSA performance and set the correct bid adjustment.
      • You will need to remember to add the RLSA audience(s) to every new ad group that you create. I've seen many accounts where people forget to do this. If these are setup at the campaign level then you won't need to add audiences to every new ad group in that campaign.

Hope that helps,

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

It depends on what your overall advertising goal is. You have an example of some general pros and cons from @JimVaillancourt - If you are looking for some insight into your specific situation, then we would need some more information.

Tom